New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger VLD Hunting Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a 7mm-08 that was just worked up and it loves 140 grain berger vld hunting bullets. pushing about 2700. extremely accurate. i have zero experience and no knowledge of this brand of bullets. do any of you use these for hunting? if so, please educate me re their uses and limitations and direct me to some literature on this if you can. i visited the berger website and it contained helpful but limited info

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The new VLD's will work well for deer sized game but you may not have an exit wound. I haven't shot any deer with the 7mm 140 gr but have shot several with the 30 cal 185's and they worked great. I also have killed several deer with a 20 cal 40 grain Berger with excellent results. I really like the shoulder or high shoulder shots with Berger bullets.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a thread on Hunting with Berger Bullets. If you use the "Find" feature at the top of the page, you can locate some more threads about them here on Reloading, the Medium Board and American Big Game.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
i use the the 180gr version in a 7-300wsm and have had nothing but great luck with them. I also use them (in the same loading) on our clubs 1000yd range with great results. As a hunting bullet you have to sort of re-think what you know on bullet performance. they are designed to penetrate a little bit before effectively "coming apart". They are intended to expend all their energy in the body. Having an exit would is not the norm in my experience. Nothing i've shot with it has gone more than 40yds. I'd use it for anything up to elk.