THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Berger hunting VLD / Any results from this hunting season?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger hunting VLD / Any results from this hunting season?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted
I didn't get a chance to work the load up for my .300 WSM, and still haven't killed anything with the Berger VLD. Just wanting to see if anyone else had used these bullets, and what the results were good or bad.

Thanks

Posts: 250 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend shot a ncie whitetail buck with 165 gr VLD from 30-06. Range 240 yds...broadside shot just behind shoulder...Buck went down fast...bullet not recovered.

Result deemed successful. Nice exit wound.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I use the 95 gr VLD in a 243. My son shot a doe at 120 yrds. Little hole in behind front shoulder, total lung destruction then completely shattered the leg bone on the opposite side. Massive exit wound because of the bone grenade. 4th deer we've shot and so far the terminal preformance is outstanding.

Posts: 6 | Location: THEWOODLANDS, TEXAS | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Conservative Rifleman:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/I...rsness%20Article.pdf

tu2Great article beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to why Berger VLD's are considered reliable hunting bullets, whereas Sierra Matchkings et. al are not?

Both bullets have similar construction, no?

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the berger bullet but I have seen them shoot great groups.It seems to me they are trying awful hard to make hunters believe they are as good as the swifts,tsx and north fork. I was told that the bullet hits with x#of foot pounds and expends all of that inside thats why so many do not exit, unless they hit no big bones then they will exit. something with that statement leaves me very skeptical of real performance on tough big animals like elk, sable, zebra etc. i will wait to hear some solid stories of performance on big game before i will try them. I will give up 1/4 inch of accuracy for a proven bullet.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excuse the long reply...

I live in South Africa and I've done a "lot" of hunting with the 210gr VLD in my 300WM (2750 to 2780 fps). Probably 10 or so large game animals and 20 or 25 medium and smaller game. I don't recall exactly.

I've taken numerous large gemsbuck bulls and large blue wildebeest bulls and several other medium sized antelope and plenty of springbuck.

They always worked like a charm. Blew up the lungs and heart and DRT or (very) short runs. I had better results than guys shooting "premium" bullets. THe Springbuck mostly had pencil size through and through holes. The medium game may exit, no exits on Gemsbuck or BWB. Not ever.

The Berger almost disintegrates and destroys the vitals. A premium does less damage generally and the smaller surface area means animals take longer to succumb to the wound. I seldom find anything other than small bits of "shrapnel".

That said, I use this bullet where I have the luxury of open areas and waiting for a good angle to be presented by the animal, i.e. broadside or quartering on. That's it. You need patience, disciline and opportunity if this is your choice.

I don't think anyone suggested these were Northforks or A-Frames or Barnes X, but if you know their advantages and limitations they work very well. The description of the performance on the website is correct, a small pencil hole for a short distance and then explosive damage. Little meat damage on the animals that I've shot.

All of that said, I'm looking to move general hunting back to things like Accubond, Interbond or Scirocco. The angles aren't always in your favour and that is not a Berger's forte! I've never tried it, but I can see this clearly from my results.

No, the Berger uses a J4 jacket and the Sierra MK is thicker and the bullet is not as sharply pointed; i.e. generally not a VLD. THe VLD hunting also has a THINNER jacket than the VLD Match Target. Use the right one if you want the results described. I've seen guys use SMK's. They work too, but they seem to hold together more and at longer range can punch very small holes.

If you know the characteristics you can choose according to your needs.

This may be a hunting bullet, but don't confuse it with the traditional sense of weight retention and deep penetration if that is your standard.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes I by no means think they are bad hunting bullets it is when you are spending north of 50k on a hunt I don't want to take the chance

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bullet that makes it into the vitals and destroys more tissue then another well always kill faster. Getting the bullet in side is the key.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARWL:
...The medium game may exit, no exits on Gemsbuck or BWB. Not ever.

The Berger almost disintegrates .... I seldom find anything other than small bits of "shrapnel". ...
That kind of on-game performance is why Nosler kept "toughening" the B-Tips. I'm pretty sure there have been 4-generations of B-Tips with them becoming more of a real Hunting Bullet with each change.

Now you have fragile by Design Varmint B-Tips and tougher Hunting B-Tips. Taking a Bullet Designed for Paper and saying it is now a Hunting Bullet just doesn't seem proper to me. But, as long as there are Marketing folks, you will always have people selling things they were never really intended to do.

As for Killing, the same results were found with the original B-Tips. Once enough Hunting Bergers are used on game, people will begin CRYBABY and whining about how they Failed too - just a matter of time.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is entertaining and explains how a community organizer can get elected President.
A target bullet w/ a hollow point is now an incredible hunting bullet b/c it got a new name and some gun writer raved over the internal damage it left. What did PT Barnum say ?
So now Sierra is going to rename their matchking---maybe "bloodking pro" and get some jake leg like weiland to "test" it and pronounce it "better than anything before", but especially at long range because everyone knows your not a hunter or shooter if you do not have the latest whiz bang w/ an idiot proof 15 x 50 scope w/ little lines in it. With the new bloodking pro you to can shoot 500 yards w/ ease and have never before seen results on target. Get you some today !

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
I'm curious as to why Berger VLD's are considered reliable hunting bullets, whereas Sierra Matchkings et. al are not?

friar

VLD Hunting vs VLD Target

Big difference.(Heavier jacket etc)

Before the HUNTING VLD's came out I had used SMK's and Berger Target VLD's on coyotes and small pigs with devastating results.

When the Hunting VLD's became available I began using them on deer ,pigs and BIG PIGS.

AGAIN with devastating results.

For non-dangerous thin skin animals they work well for me.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas!

Interesting about the jacket differences - I see your point.

As you highlighted, if one is willing to wait for a good angle, the wounding is especially dramatic.

I'm beginning to believe that, if using VLDs, it makes best sense to pick at least "traditional" or heavier bullet weights; and also, when hunting large game (moose, elk, etc.) to choose a minimum of .30 cal (or maybe at least 7mm).

I know one thing for sure - I couldn't have shot that moose with my .270 and a VLD...even with the good angle that I had, I was too worked up to put a pill right in the shoulder crease w/ little margin for error!

Good thread - thanks for in comments!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I currently load the 210 Hunting VLD in the 300 RUM as my long range hunting rifle. Accuracy is superb allowing for predictable placement.

I also load the 130 Hunting VLD in 6.5RSAUM for a friends goat gun with great results.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:

friar

VLD Hunting vs VLD Target

Big difference.(Heavier jacket etc)

Absolutely - it is not a target bullet used for hunting. The VLD hunting has a thin jacket so that it will open up. The VLD target has a thick jacket and shouldn't be used for hunting.
I can see that for sheep hunting for example this could be a perfect bullet. What concerns me is a bull elk's shoulder...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote