THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

accuracy problem; where to look to solve this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I reload for a Blaser B95 combo 12-70/30.06 with a free floating rifle barrel.

Currently I reload 180 gr. Hornady spire points over 56,5 gr. N160, CCI 200 primers and Norma brass. Bullets seated out to slightly touch the lands. Kahles scope on a Blaser saddle mount.

Yesterday I was at the indoor 100 mtr, range again to test rifle and load.

Bullets 1, 2 and 3: almost touching, slightly to the left and slightly low of desired p.o.i.

Gave the scope two clicks to the right and three up.

Bullets 4, 5 and 6: Dead on where I wanted them, nice clover leaf, almost touching.

Bullet 7: 5,5 inches above 4,5,6, no horizontal deviation.

Bullet 8: 4,0 inches above 4,5,6, no horizontal deviation.

Bullet 9: touched bullet 7, no horizontal deviation.

Buller 10: 1,0 inch under 4,5,6. no horizontal deviation.

I looked at everything I can think of:
* powdercharges weighed and double checked.
* barrel crown is ok.
* no more than 30 bullets through since last
bore cleaning with Wipe-out
* scope was sent to Kahles and found in order.
* saddle mount adjusted to Blaser
specifications.
* barrel is free floating.
* 5 minutes between each shot to allow barrel
to cool down.

I shoot over a bench rest under the fore end and a sand bag under the stock, trying to keep the rifle in the same position and add the same pressure from shot to shot.

Does this vertical stringing indicate a known, typical problem with scope, rifle, my reloads or anything else?

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like scope failure. I know you had it checked at the factory but hear me out. I have seen scopes do this. A friend of mine has a Shepherd scope that he put on a 270Win that performed flawlessly when he first sighted in in preperation of a Colorado elk hunt. He thought this scope was great. Missed an easy shot on a cow elk and was skunked for the hunt. He shot the rifle at the range when he returned home and the first few shots were off target but were grouped well, but after three shots that rifle would shoot randomly to different places on the target and sometimes would come back and shoot into the original group. He sent the scope back to the factory and they could find nothing wrong with it he finally pulled the scope and put another/different brand scope on the rifle and it shoots fine now. If I were you I would mount a scope that you know works and shoot the rifle to see if it still does this. If it still does then you have narrowed the problem done to the rifle or ammo.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would tend to agree that it's a scope or a scope mounting problem and not an ammunition problem. Make sure the scope mount is firmly in place. Assuming the barrel is really free floating and not touching anywhere, it's probably not a barrel problem.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some scopes -- the old Leopolds, for example -- are unstable immediately after adjustment, and require several shots to settle in. I dunno if that is the case with your Kahles.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You scope may have walked a little right after the adjustment. this is prossible to prevent if you know what direction to turn the adjustment screws so they are always pushing when adjusted.
That is don't depend on the pressure springs to always follow the screws exactly.

Get a gunsmith or machininst to demonstrate how he takes the backlash out of his lathe cross slide. The same principle will correct your scope. I think you should always make your final adjustments in small increments moving the point of impact from above and from the right of the point of aim.
If you overrun the point of aim back up the adjustments and start again.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a long shot (sorry Roll Eyes) But parralax problems made me go nuts once. You shot a 100m. and most scopes are regulated for that distance, so.... is your scope regulated for 100m.

If so I would just check everything again and do a new test with a clean barrel, checked bullet weights aso.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
You scope may have walked a little right after the adjustment. this is prossible to prevent if you know what direction to turn the adjustment screws so they are always pushing when adjusted.
That is don't depend on the pressure springs to always follow the screws exactly.

Get a gunsmith or machininst to demonstrate how he takes the backlash out of his lathe cross slide. The same principle will correct your scope. I think you should always make your final adjustments in small increments moving the point of impact from above and from the right of the point of aim.
If you overrun the point of aim back up the adjustments and start again.

I am a machinist/moldmaker 20 years. You are so right backlash is an element few people ever talk about but is a very real thing. The old machinist saying is always keep right hand travle.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reindeer: I too tend to think it is a scope issue. However, just for the heck of it, did you allow proper cooling of the barrel between shots and groups? In addition, was the barrel clean and free of copper buildup when you began shooting, or was the groups shot a continuation of another range session with no cleaning between? Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of scope problems like that and some were high dollar ones. I had a problem with one of mine, went to Wally world and picked up a $50 Bushnell. Problem solved and not a lick of trouble for years now. It shoots tighter groups then my expensive one ever did.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
... picked up a $50 Bushnell. Problem solved and not a lick of trouble for years now. ...
Hey BFR, Funny that you mention Bushnell as a reliable scope.

I have been watching a lot of threads concerning "inexpensive" scopes for a good number of years. Recently the number of questions from the youngsters just getting into Hunting and Shooting have focused on any good alternatives to the more expensive brands, and I had no good answer for them.

So, I went on an information Hunt at local Gun Shops and asked what scopes tended to be "Returned" the least. It was quite an eye opening experience for me. There are a few relatively inexpensive Scope Brands that do as well or better than the Leupolds, Burris and Zeiss brands.

Bushnell was one of the clear choices for not coming back to the stores I talked to. I plan to run some tests on some of my heavy kickers after I get a few of the less expensive scopes and see just how well they hold up for me.

What influenced your decision to choose a Bushnell, besides the price?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I tried a Bushnell Trophy scope on a 460 S&W Mag. It lasted maybe 150 rounds.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hunting a similar problem in a weatherby synthetic 30-06. My problem may be that the barrel was straightened at the factory and that it warps when it is hot. Alternativly it may have been not enough space between the scope and the barrel was thickhess of two sheets of paper. The gun strings its shots high as it warms up, the first 4-5 are good but then up it goes until it settles into a group 3 inches above my zero, 5 inches high at 100.... I tried messing with the bedding by releaving pressure from the fore end with tape shims and it shot a very nice 5 shot 3/4 inch group and then blew the rest of the damn things all over the paper..so I removed my "shims".... I guess I should be happy with verticle stringing as it is...but what a pain in the butt for load development. I have been living with it for 3 years, I just take 4 rifles to the range and let this one cool completely down before I shoot it again really a problem when it is 90 degrees out... Real slow for load development. I have moved the scope forward to make sure that a 1/16th inch exists between barrel and bell, and I will go to the range with a spare scope to see if the scope is the problem...but I am going to do this one more thing before I send it to the factory..unfortunately I cannot do this for 7 days now...

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin, A handgun will tear up scopes like no tomorrow. There is no buffer for recoil like your shoulder or gun weight. I eat them on my .475! One highly rated scope lasted 5 shots before the tube was full of glass. The replacement is on my .22. I went to the Ultra dot red dot and now have several thousand rounds without any trouble.
One scope that was a surprise is the Tasco pistol scope. Not a problem at all with around 1000 shots except it is too dark in the mornings and evenings for hunting. I find most every pistol scope is too dark.
The Tasco also has a tough, thick tube that will take tight rings. I have had expensive pistol scopes bend at the ring from recoil. Scope makers are behind the times with the new powerful revolvers and pistols. I remember the old days when you could pound a nail with a scope tube, most are now soft as butter.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote