Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Win and 225 TSXs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Although I got 225 XLCs shooting pretty well out of my model 70, I couldn't resist the temptation of the Triple Shocks. We played around with 140s out of my Dad's .270 WSM and had pretty good success with a variety of powders and loads. So now I have some 225 grainers on the way for my .338. Would any of you care to comment on successful loads in your rifle? I have the Barnes manual as a place to start, but sure like to hear success stories. Favorite powders? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, the TSX have shot just great for me with 69 gr of AA 4350.

I love them so much, that I am taking them with me to Africa next week. So remind me in a month or so, and I'll give you a detailed report.

I'm also taking the 140 gr TSX in the 270 Win.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Terry, thanks for even more information. I'll have to send you a reminder in a while. I'm definitely interested in the performance of these bullets, as they are what we're planning on using in Namibia in June.

Is AA4350 now (or has been) called XMR4350? The Accurate web site calls it only 4350, with no prefix.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is AA4350 now (or has been) called XMR4350? The Accurate web site calls it only 4350, with no prefix.

I want to say that as long as it comes from Accurate Powder Company, it is the same 4350.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Terry (and others if interested), I never made it to Accurate 4350. I had enough prepped brass to load for two powders, and IMR4831 and RL19 both show higher velocities in the Barnes #3 manual. I loaded four rounds of each of the following loads (one fouler and a three-shot group) and cleaned the bore between each set of four shots. First I shot 68, 69, and 70 (book max!) grains of IMR4831. Accuracy was okay, with all four-shot groups shooting between 1.5 and 2 inches. Good enough for big critters, but I know the rifle can do better. Then I tried 70, 71, and 72 (book max!) grains of RL19. 70 and 71 shot reasonably well, but the 72 grain load is flat awesome! With a fouling shot the four-shot group is just a hair less than an inch. Discount the fouler and the real three-shot group is a cloverleaf with all three thouching. Assuming I repeat this with my confirmation loads, I think I'll stop there and use this load. This rifle really likes maximum loads. Of the three bullets I've tried (225 Hornadsy, 225 XLCs, and 225 TSXs), all have shot the best with max or near max loads.

Just thought you might be interested. I suppose I'll try 4350 some time, but for now I think I'm good to go, especially considering my 6.5X55 is very fond of RL19. That keeps things simpler.