New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x54 resizing problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm loading .308 bullets in my 7.62x54R. i bought a set of rcbs dies with both .308 and .311 expander balls. i installed the .308 expander and resized 20 cases. i noticed that the expander ball was barely touching the case neck as it was pulled downward out of the die. it seems that the die is not resizing the neck enough for the .308 expander to open the neck back up to the right size. the bullets are pretty loose so i crimped the 20 that i loaded to hold the bullets tight enough.

my question...is this normal with rcbs dies? if so, i don't see the need for a .308 expander ball if it doesn't expand anything. or..is my die defective and not squeezing the neck down small enough as the case is pushed up into the die? please advise...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
budiceale-
I ran one of my cases thru my RCBS die (expander removed)and it sized it to an i.d. of .309. I hadn't noticed the problem as my shootin' iron takes a .312 bullet. What are you shooting them through?
Sam

If nightcrawlers had machineguns, we'd all be in trouble!

Posts: 3 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sjhark...i'm shooting a 91/30. i know that it would be better to use 310-312 bullets but i have a bunch of these 308 bullets and have read that there is a chance that they will shoot acceptably in my rifle. i assumed, if the die set came with a 308 expander, then the die would size the case down far enough for that expander to have the proper effect. if your rcbs die only sized you brass down to 309 ID then maybe this is normal for rcbs dies. thanks for the reply...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Some brass can have a thin neck wall diameter. Does all brass do it?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.308 expanders dont' always touh when the case is designed for .311 bullets.. if it barely drags (.309) that's the die sizing the neck ID ...

if the case was crumpled, the .308 would make a diff....

since the case is sized by the die, the expander would only make a difference if you had thick brass... so you are "stuck" with the neck size from the die, and consider the expander as a deprimer

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only brass i have is winchester so i don't know about other brass. sounds like i'll either keep crimping with 308 bullets and see how they shoot, or go to some bigger bullets. thanks to all for the help...bud