New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Around Pistol Powder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK...just for fun. We see all kinds of all around if you could only own one gun type threads.

So in that vein. If you had a to pick a single pistol powder as your ONLY powder what would it be? What has the most universal application--obviously its not an ideal choice. But a good choice that works in a wide variety of cartridges.

My choice? Unique==yeah its a little dirty. Its not going to give you magnum velocities. But you can load it down for something like a .38 Wadcutter and you can jazz it up enough to matter in something like a 44 mag. But of course you'll never compete with a slow burner like Green Dot or 2400 in the big cases. But it will give a respectable showing.

Close second? AA #5

Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd probably have to go with something in a semi-auto (again, if I had to - end of the world and all that), like Titegroup.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unique is a step slower than green-dot.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'd probably pick Power Pistol.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
unique is a step slower than green-dot.

Yeah....I meant blue dot... Not Green Dot.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I like power pistol and 2400 but have had some sucess with tire group lately in a 45 colt.H110 for real heavy loads.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herco has served me well across the board.

But only one powder would be tough.

If one shoots the really big stuff 460 500 S@Ws

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BE-86, Power Pistol, Herco, Longshot, Silhouette. All are medium to medium slow burn rate, giving decent case fill with good to very good velocities and still pretty economical.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Unique.. if you're not a progressive press user.

Silhouette if you are.

I'm trying the AA number powders now AA5,AA7,AA9

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unique; no question about it.
New lots are not dirty; old lots smoke like black powder, which, in a Cowboy match, is an advantage.
Even in a progressive loader, it is fine. All the new powders are just marketing ploys to sell powder; little real need for them.
Unique. Since 1898.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I like diversity because of diverse uses. Having stated that, one powder as a do-all would have to be W231. Burns clean and can be loaded up to moderate pressures in about every pistol cartridge I have ever loaded for, and some I haven't loaded.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blue dot

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
power pistol or 2400 ...

but i generally only load 45colt or 30 mauser both with mild loads

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use unique in many handgun loads.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of Unique. It can be used in a variety of pistol cartridges and I even use it in cast bulletin rifle loads. To me it’s a “do all” powder.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use unique. I set it for 7 grains and can load 44-40, 44 special, 44 magnum and 45 acp without resetting the powder measure. All velocities about 840 fps.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hey, that is exactly what I used do, when I loaded mass quantities of revolver ammo; 7 grains of Unique for everything.
Now, you guys who recommend the slow pistol powders as "all round"; try some in your 380 and you can throw bullets faster.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no better all around powder than BE86.
It does what Unique, and power pistol does.
Very elastic. loads from Bullseye to Blue dot.
In Alliants book, there are more loads for BE86 Than any other powder.Yes, I like alliant.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no better all around powder than BE86.

Sounds like a very useful powder.

But I said Herco as I have a couple kegs of it.

Same with Red and greed dot.

Guess if I get to the point I have to go buy I will look into it.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
For the rounds I reload for I would say it's a toss up between 231 and Unique, leaning more toward Unique.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique has been my go-to for years and years but lately (last 5 years)it's been 231 because I have a keg.

Great in 38 Sp and 9mm.

For 357 loads, I use a more specialty powder and it depends on bullet weight so I don't have just one.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For 357 loads, I use a more specialty powder and it depends on bullet weight so I don't have just one.

I love AL-7 for 125gr JHP 357 loads I was lucky to fined a 5lb keg at a gun show years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I love AL-7 for 125gr JHP 357 loads I was lucky to fined a 5lb keg at a gun show years ago.

That sounds like a great choice!

I haven't seen AL-7 in my neck of the wood in quite some time but maybe I wasn't looker very hard.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't seen AL-7 in my neck of the wood in quite some time but maybe I wasn't looker very hard.

Must of been 30 years ago I brought that keg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw yes, the search for the one powder do all continues and continues and continues, the illusive dream!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote