New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the process of preparing all my .243 brass. I have sorted according to brand and since I have more R-P brass I started resizing them and then measuring. In doing that I found most were close to 2.045 inches (the trim to length according to Lyman is 2.035). Some were right in the middle of the range but I am going to trim everything to 2.035. Surprisingly, some cases measure as short as 2.025 and I do not think I have ever trimmed any cases shorter than the Lyman trim-to-length so I do not know how this happened. This brings up a question or two: 1. Should I load the shorter cases just like the ones I will trim? Should that give me accuracy issues due to some of the cases being short? 2. How important is it to trim all cases to exactly the same length? Often a case will be , let’s say right in the middle between trim -to-length and the maximum case length, what kind of difficulty might me encountered with cases that are within specs but vary 8 to 10 thousands in length? I am not any kind of match target shooter, just minute of deer/pig is good for me but I do want to be as accurate as possible. Any suggestion appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laurie's Papa:
I am in the process of preparing all my .243 brass. I have sorted according to brand and since I have more R-P brass I started resizing them and then measuring. In doing that I found most were close to 2.045 inches (the trim to length according to Lyman is 2.035). Some were right in the middle of the range but I am going to trim everything to 2.035. Surprisingly, some cases measure as short as 2.025 and I do not think I have ever trimmed any cases shorter than the Lyman trim-to-length so I do not know how this happened. This brings up a question or two:
1. Should I load the shorter cases just like the ones I will trim? Yes
Should that give me accuracy issues due to some of the cases being short? Unlikely
2. How important is it to trim all cases to exactly the same length? It has bearing on consistent neck tension from round to round
Often a case will be , let’s say right in the middle between trim -to-length and the maximum case length, what kind of difficulty might me encountered with cases that are within specs but vary 8 to 10 thousands in length? It might matter and it might not. Depends on your rifle ( compare shots with some rounds and see ) and also on how fussy you are re accuracy.
I am not any kind of match target shooter, just minute of deer/pig is good for me but I do want to be as accurate as possible. Any suggestion appreciated.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Eight to 10 thousandths? It will make NO difference in a hunting cartridge. As long as they are not over length, I do not care, and it has no effect on my rounds killing stuff.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
to clarify,
within reason, a little short neck won't have meaningful impact on a hunting rifle - too long COULD cause pressure issues, but that's in an extreme case

Loading them to the same OAL is more important

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a weirdo so I'd trim everything to the middle and everything shorter than that to the short side and keep them separated.

jus sayin,,, but after you fire them they'll all come out a bit shorter than they are now.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you crimp?

If you do, the shorter necks may not crimp as well as the "correct" ones.
This may or may not cause issues.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got a Redding case trimmer and find it dodgy to use. It seems possible to set up with a smaller-than-correct diameter on the universal shell-holder, after which if you grab a case with the correct one an overly short case may result.

If case trimmers could be trusted not to do that, we'd have one less issue to worry about.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as Im concerned the only accurate way to trim is with a file trim die..I use these o handguns and rifle cases I intend to crimp such as my 30-30, 25-35, 348 Win. Your reloading manuals clarify all this,

In your case Id probably just trim what the reloading books minimum suggests and trim all rounds to that then ever reload fired measure it and just trim the too long ones as you go.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
For ANY lever action calibers, crimping is mandatory with tubular magazines. Even a good idea with the 95 Winchester.

A very handy if not indespensible tool is the Lee
factory crimp die. Really works well.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote