New
Find
Notify
Tools

deburring after neck sizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Should this be done or just after trimming the case. Thought maybe it would help with bullet seating thanks newbie

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I beburr inside and outside with a Lee deburring tool after resizing as the passage of the die mandrel into and out of the case can, and will, raise a burr or two.

In my experience it makes starting the bullet a little easier.

I also insure case length is at the minimun length before deburring by trimming on my Forster trimmer. This is to insure that the case mouth s are square and that my crimp is the same on all rounds.

My two cents.

Regards,
Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
Do it just after you trimmed the case on both inside and outside of neck

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I do a mild debur inside and out before I resize in order to make sure there are no burrs to scratch up the die or cause a stuck case. If trimming is necessary after that I obviously debur. I make sure that there are no burrs before I finish the reload to ensure easy bullet seating...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
deburr just before reloading.

Brass scratching hardended steel bewildered

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about deburring flash holes or chamfering necks??

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
You should always be deburring and trimming your cases after sizing, simply because the pilot that it running inside the neck for trimming needs to be running in a concentric neck, which won't be the case if it hasn't been sized.

I like to use the RCBS 3-Way cutter, so I'm trimming, chamfering, and deburring the inside all at once.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey AS64, I do a P-FLR, thenTrim with the Lee Case Gauges(great inexpensive tools) then a very light Champfer of the Inside and Deburr the outside.

Years ago I also began Polishing the Case Mouth with a piece of 0000SteelWool wrapped around an old 22cal Bore Brush and stick it into a Lyman or RCBS Handle.

The wad of SteelWool should be large enough that it wraps over the Case Mouth as you stick the Case onto the Brush. Then give it just a couple of twists to remove all minor burrs.

Since beginning this, the number of Fliers at longer distances have dropped for me. I'll give Varmint Al credit for the idea, but I actually believe someone else told me before I saw his Cup shaped Polisher.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I beburr inside and outside with a Lee deburring tool after resizing as the passage of the die mandrel into and out of the case can, and will, raise a burr or two.

Yep, me too, always.

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Ditto to wsj Wink

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by US1:

Perhaps I should have said scuff or mar... Mostly I debur before resizing to ensure I don't get a stuck case because of a bur...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
quote:
Originally posted by US1:

Perhaps I should have said scuff or mar... Mostly I debur before resizing to ensure I don't get a stuck case because of a bur...

Ken....

The only time I have ever had a stuck case was insufficient case lube. The mandrel friction is not going to cause a stuck case no matter how many burrs are there.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote