New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: The Best Dies ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Same gripe about Wilson standard (non-stainless) dies. They can rust while you are just looking at them. Great stuff though, and priced right.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have see in print that the best dies go in this order.
Wilson,Redding, Forster, RCBS, and the others as battling it out for the the other positions. No real scientific evaluation that I have seen has ever done a study on the issue. Example: Best steel, tightest tolerances and consumer feed back. Lee states that there dies are the tightest tolarences in the industry. Question for the forum. Does anyone know of a study anywhere that has tested the tolarences, steels used and wear quality of reloading dies? Consumer reposts or anyone ?

30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to buy another regular two die set for a bottlenecked rifle cartridge it would be RCBS. This is because they will make it right.

As to what the steel is I would not worry. They will take care of you.

However I would not buy a standard two die set for such cartridges. I used to but now new things are available. I suggest getting a Lee Collet die set with the seater die. This will be your "neck sizing" die and seater with the new brass on the sizing of fired brass. Also order a Redding "S" FL die without the bushing. after loading up some ammo measure the total neck diameter per the instructions and order a bushing.

If you want to refine your loading even more you can get a competition seating die or even a straight line die.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own mostly all RCBS and Redding Dies.

I have only ever "worn-out" one set of RCBS, and they replace them no charge. Can't beat that life time warranty.

In order, I would list Redding as # 1, RCBS # 2, and the rest fighting for the basement.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Redding Competition Dies are the best - that's why I use them exclusively in my bolt action rifles. As they say, seeing is believing.

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know who is the best.I use RCBS and it works.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used about all the standard makes there are out there over the years. RCBS makes up the bulk of my die sets but there are Hornady, Pacific, Redding and Lee dies in the reloading room. If I was going to buy a set of dies tomorrow for loading one of the standard chamberings, if they were available it would be the LEE COLLET DIE 3 Die set! You get a Collet NS die, an FL die and a seater die in one set for under $30.00 and they do load concentric ammo! I have proven that to myself and friends by loading from the same batch of brass and bullets using standard dies(by the other companies) and then loading some using the collets and checking them on the Forster ammo checking tool! The problem is they don't make the sets in all common chamberings! I just bought a Redding NS die for the 300SAUM because LEE wanted $50.00 to build me a collet die for it! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consumer Reports doesn't test reloading dies, but the thought did give me quite a chuckle.

I've read quite a few statements that you'll wear out 10 rifle barrels before you wear out a sizing die set. Wear out, not damage from careless usage. There is a difference.

In my book, it's Redding then Forster. Only because Redding offers a little more variety. Both offer top-notch quality and customer service. I can't say enough good things about Lee's collet dies. They work for me. A name you don't hear, when talking dies, is Dillon. But they make real good dies with innovative features like the quick pull pin for easy cleaning of lead buildup when you're loading cast boolits. My 4 die set for the bottlenecked 357Sig is real sweet, if pricey...$104.00 plus shipping!

If I have one gripe about RCBS die sets, it's the steel they use gets surface rust quicker then you can say 'gun oil.' They almost have to be immersed in oil to keep from getting rusty. Mostly just on the outside. It doesn't hurt the fuctionality, just looks bad. Although they don't owe me a thing after 33 years of constant use.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3030Man,

I currently own 15 sets of RCBS (from 1972 thru 1999), 2 sets of Lyman "All American" (from the late 50's/early 60's), 4 sets of Redding (2 standard and 2 S bushing) 2 sets of Forster Ultra Benchrest, 2 sets of Wilson custom ground dies for my benchrest rifles, and 2 sets of Lee's in the 3 die package (bought in 2000 and 2003). Excluding the Wilson's (they don't count for anything other than benchrest chambers), the RCBS dies from the 70's and 80's, both sets of Forsters, and the Lee's are the only dies that are consistent as far as the expander ball being within specs and the expander ball being having acceptable runout (for me anyway). My 90's RCBS dies are not even concentric. My standard Reddings aren't much better. These days I almost exclusively partial resize for my hunting and varmint rifles, so I don't use the S bushing dies with the exception of one of my varmint rifles. I have also measured other brands of reloading dies some of my reloading buddies have bought in the 90's--they aren't any better either.

I always thought of Lee dies as being "el cheapo's" until several people convinced me to try Lee dies and check the specs on my other dies. I was rather surprised at my assumptions about the quality of certain brands of dies. For rifles chambered for factory rounds (regardless whether they are factory or custom barrels) it is Lee or Forster for me. I generally size with my Lee's and seat with my Forsters.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of it boils down to preference. I have Redding and RCBS and both are great. If I had to pick between the two I would slightly favor the Redding.

For customer service, both are excellent and personal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I started cutting over to Wilson NS knock out dies, and currently have them in 6 calibers. Most of my shooting is from the bench so I'm more into accuracy now.
Ammo reloaded with the Wilson dies is very concentric, and that's the name of the game. The Redding Competition NS dies are also quite good. You'll need a primer seater with the Wilsons though and a full length sizing dies for the odd time it is required. However, you'll no longer require a press, merely a litle rawhide mallet does the trick. Visit their website at: www.lewilson.com and see what you think. They make excellent products. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

and they do load concentric ammo! I have proven that to myself and friends by loading from the same batch of brass and bullets using standard dies(by the other companies) and then loading some using the collets and checking them on the Forster ammo checking tool! GHD

GD, when you say "concentric", how much run out are you getting on an average round?? I can get 20 rounds, with about an .002 average run out with factory brass and my Forster dies. .sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The reason that there is no answer to the "which is the best die" question is because they vary in quality over time and between calibers! I have had some excellent RCBS dies in the "unusual" or wildcat calibers, which were as good as Redding. From time to time, even Lyman turns out some good stuff. I have never owned a set of Wilson dies, but since they are pretty much a custom-made, low-volume item, I can understand why they might be best overall.

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
Quote:

GD, when you say "concentric", how much run out are you getting on an average round?? I can get 20 rounds, with about an .002 average run out with factory brass and my Forster dies. .sakofan..

Thats the same average I get with my Forster benchrest dies and its way better than RCBS and Lyman have been able to do. Getting ready to try the Lee Collet dies.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all you responses. I guess that the best die is the one that works best for you. I do have to say that is appears that Lee and Layman seem to have the most complaints as I posted this on five other boards. You either love them or hate them. The one thing I think we would all like to know from these companies is the customer satisfaction and how many dies are sent back. Now we all know that information wont be published !