THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 Rem vs 222 Rem Match - Is it worth it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A question for all you 222 Rem shooters. I am having a new 24" barrel made for my T/C Contender. I am having it chambered in 222 Rem. My only concern is that I have never outside turned case necks before. I am sure like anything it takes practice.

My question is this. Is all the extra case prep time of turning necks really worth it? Will it improve the accuracy and group sizes to warrent the match grade chamber?

I know the 222 Rem was the benchrest shooters choice back in the 70's and is capable of superior accuracy. Will ordering a match grade chamber make that big of a difference?

The barrel will be made by Fred Smith of Bullberry Barrel Works and the dies will be Redding.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you're having the barrel made for you, I would have the same reamer used to cut the dies. If you're even thinking about neck turning etc, then this is a place you can make a big difference without getting into lots of other stuff.

Posts: 8 | Location: England | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that given proper concentric chambering you would make a bigger difference to your group size by getting and learning how to use a proper rest and bag combination.

My own factory 222rem easily shot way better than I could do with a cheap rest and poor technique. 5 shot .3" groups if I did my bit.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an early Rem 40X that shoots in the two's. I have never neck reamed/turned any cases. The best groups come from cases that have been weighed, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred, and trimmed to length. The most accurate load in the rifle has been with Berger 52gr match bullets, Federal premium cases, Rem 71/2BR primers, and 24.3 grs of BLC-2 and an OAL of 2.200". I do not use benchrest dies and have never checked the runout. Why mess with a good thing? Put together an accurate load first, and then think about neck turning later on down the road, it may or may not be worth the effort.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd talk to Bullberry and see what he says. Don't really know if a TC with a tight neck will give those BR groups. My 40x 222 came with test target in the 2's. I've got some federal match 222 brass and if I clean up the necks use inline dies I can cut those groups to the high 1's and my tight neck LV BR rifle will get in the 1's. About 10 yrs ago at the Catus BR match in AZ Mike Walker shot the smallest group in the light BR match and used his 222 group was in the 0's. I had a 222AI done up years ago was kind of a BR round has a tight neck got a 1/12 twist. The guy that works for Lee Six chamber it for me and he did a die also for it. I use it now as a varmit rifle these days. Great round.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Is all the extra case prep time of turning necks really worth it? Will it improve the accuracy and group sizes to warrent the match grade chamber? ...

Hey 7-30 Waters, The "Wild Card" here is your using a Contender. I've had one and was not all that impressed, but that may be due to the calibers I had and the pitiful bore finish in the factory barrels. I've never had a Bullberry, so I can't comment on them.

The break open action tends to "cant" a cartridge as the action is snapped shut, but the same thing can be said for the "Ejector" pushing against the Casehead in a Pushfeed rifle. And in a Controlled Feed, the case tends to lay on the bottom of the chamber. So each action has it's own unique issues to address.

Now, to your questions, NO - Neck Turning is not worth it to me. If you are a person who believes in "Neck Sizing", then having a very tight (0.002" gap) Chamber to loaded cartridge fit will indeed help your accuracy "potential".

The reason it isn't important to me is because of two things; 1. I've done it before and don't enjoy doing it. 2. I Partial-Full Length Resize(P-FLR) and that eliminates the need for doing all the Neck Turning and Caseneck Run-Out tricks. Once you visualize how P-FLR forces the CenterLines of the Case and Chamber into nearly perfect alignment, you will understand why Neck Sizing is less accurate. And why Neck Turning and Caseneck Run-Out tricks are not needed.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would have Fred cut the chamber whatever his standard is. With decent loaded ammo I bet the barrel will easily make his .500" three shot guarantee. I have a .221 Fireball carbine barrel that he made up for me that makes it very easily. I like shooting more than fooling with cases....but thats just me.
What are you planning on using the barrel for.....target work or prairie dogs/varmints.
My FB will make good shots on pds out to 300 yds.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core - FYI Bullberry uses a Shilen blank and the ones I have had were very very accurate and finished like a mirror inside.....some of my TC factory barrels were only so so.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey skb, I figured the aftermarket barrels HAD TO BE BETTER than the factory Contender barrels I had. One was a 44Mag and had "Left-Hand" twist. When you would go to clean it, it was constantly unscrewing the Tight Patched Jag. I called T/C and got ahold of one of their YANKEE Production Foremen who really wasn't interested in talking to me about a couple of things I considered problems. After I got off the phone, I loaded up all the T/C stuff I had, drove directly to one of the local GunShops and traded the stuff off.

That one Foreman's attitude has prvented me from purchasing from them ever since. I sure like the looks of that new Muzzle Loader they have(can't even think of it's name at the moment), but just can't bring myself to help that guy make his salary.

---

But, all that is beside the point. It sounds like going with Bullberry is the thing to do. It is always nice to look in a new barrel (after cleaning) and have it sparkling like a Hall-of-Mirrors. Best of luck to all of you guys with your single-shots. Not much of a handicap at all when you pay attention to that all important first shot.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote