New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph:Shooting Chrony-vs-Oehler 35
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using a Chrony Beta Master for several years with success.However,for some reason I have always wanted to upgrade(?) to an Oehler when the funds were available.Now I have found out that the Oheler 35 is being discontinued and I am being put in the position to make a decision-now or never.In honesty,I have pretty well established the loads for my rifles and will only use a chronograph for working up new loads as different bullets hit the market.The money for the Oehler would go a long way towards the purchase of a new barrel for my 6ppc bench rifle or towards the Decot shooting glasses I want.I am just trying to get things in perspective and value any opinions.I just hate the position with Oehler,buy now or never.Is the Oheler that much better,reliable,than my Chrony?
Thank you,
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where do you get the information that the Oehler will become unavailable? Not disputing you, just wondering.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Well, Oehler is tops, of course! But I started out with Oehler, and now use my Beta-Chrony most of the time, because it is so much easier to transport and set up at the range. Chronys seem as accurat as the Oehler also, but I guess they are more sensitive to light condition changes, although I have not had much of a problem with mine. Particularly in upstate NY, where the sun rarely shines anyway!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard the Oehler rumor first on the benchrest.com forum. Claims Oehler is phasing out its consumer products and will only make stuff for government and industry. I dunno if it is true but I guess you could ask Oehler yourself.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the info from Oehler,also stated on their webb site.
Jim

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used a Chrony Beta Master for years. Only issue I ever had with it is the rods pulling out from the difusser. Little tape takes care of that.

My old boss had a Pact. When back for repair 3 times. He replaced it with the three screen Oehler. We have used his Oehler side by side with my Chrony and not seen any difference in sensitivity etc. Readings from one to the other are withing the normal range of the loads being tested. IE 30-50fps.

I fold mine up and stick it in my range bag he has to haul that large screen assembly home.

If my Chrony goes bad I'll repalce it with another Chrony.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Hundley:
I got the info from Oehler,also stated on their webb site.
Jim

I've poked around on Oehler's web site and not fond anything saying that they are quitting the consumer business. Can you provide a link?

Thanks!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Go to: Oehler-Reserch.com
Click on specifications and scroll down to near bottom of page.There in itallics is a statement.Also,no Mod.35's on product page.
Hope this helps.Their number is 1-800-531-5125

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks! I don't think that they could have hidden it in plain sight any better.

For those interested here is the statement (and link):

Oehler has reluctantly suspended production of handloader equipment, including the Model 35. Our current inventory of handloader systems is depleted. Production of industrial equipment and technical support for all Oehler equipment continues. You can still get warranty service and parts.

They've also removed the 35P from their store. It was there just a couple of days ago.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well, suspended doesn't sound like pahsed out, but I'm glad I bought mine when I did. I have a Pact 7 the screens are just crap, way too many missed or erroneous readings. I've fired 1000's of rounds over the Oehler & can count the number of bad readings on one hand (i only have 5 fingers). If you can still fins one, they are worth the price.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just called them to check. They said the parts they use (for the printer, I think) are getting harder to find. I asked if they'd continue with the M35 without the printer and he said "no." They might resume later.

They have enough M35 in stock to take care of orders this week, but after that, they're gone.

They'll still be in business, making equipment for the industry, and will support the chrongraphs they've sold.

By the way, they have have one fewer M35 on the shelves - I just bought one.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaywalker,
Make that two less on the shelf.I bought the 35 about two hours ago.Hope that we made the right decision!!
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems that everyone forgets, when comparing other chronographs to the Oehler 35, that it is really 2 chronos in one case. The proof channel with the third screen checks each shot twice. No other manufacturer offers that feature.

I'm glad I got my 35 and 43PBL when I did. And I have no doubt that Oehler will still be there when I need parts or service.

I wonder what prompted their decision to stop production?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dave, did you miss the reason in my post above?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
both are rated at .5% error.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
quote:

Dave, did you miss the reason in my post above?

Jaywalker

No, I did comprehend your words. It just seems like a drastic measure to take.

BTW, my M35 is sans printer. I used to write the info into my logbook while the barrel cooled. Now the 43PBL does all that for me.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote