Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader 15 Powder Production Ending?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
When I was out at the rifle range this morning, the gentleman running the small range store told me RL-15 is being phased out and will no longer be made.

Has anyone else out there heard this? I hope it is not true as I use RL-15 for quite a few loads for my big bore double rifles.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Ask Alliant:

alliant.reloading@atk.com

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Dave. I use a lot of RL15 for several different cartridges. If you email them, let me know or I will email them also. If that is the case, I will stock up on it for the future. I only have about 18 lbs on hand.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
Ask Alliant:

alliant.reloading@atk.com

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

Good idea - I just did (waiting for a response)

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be a TERRIBLE thing!

I use RL-15 in a number of chamberings: 5.56 match loads, .338-06, 9,3x62, .375 H&H, and .470 NE!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also sent them an email concerning this. I use quite a bit of RL15 and would miss it dearly.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I agree this would be very bad. I use it in my 270, 280, 338-06 and 404.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wrote them a note but have not gotten a reply!

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy if they stop producing Reloader 15 get ready to load up the car with it. That will start a stampede to buy it. Lets hope somebody is wrong.
Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alliant has a new powder called AR Comp, when you read the reviews and speak with Alliant they will tell you that it is a new and improved RL

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As long as Norma still makes 203B you will still have plenty of powder. RL-15 is just another batch of 203B and sold by Alliant. If Norma quits making 203B then we have problems. I've written Don Heath of Norma. Perhaps he can shed some light?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would like to hear something as soon as one you ya'll hear something. i'm currently working up a load for a custom built 308. sure would hate to see it go away. being able to use 203b would be fine but rl-15 can be picked up around here just about anywhere.

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
I wrote them a note but have not gotten a reply!

I am still waiting for a reply as well. I will post it as soon as I get it!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got this reply form Don Heath at Norma.
quote:
Yes 203b is a standard production item – no idea what reloader are doing- they usually buy our seconds and repackage them but perhaps with Western powders taking over the distribution of regular Norma powder in the USA they cannot compete? Don’t know but we are noot dropping 203B and Western Powders should have received their first shipment by now (ships are slower than we think but still) and it should be hitting the market soon

Yours faithfully

Don

So it looks like Western will be distributing Norma. Our RL-15 loads will still be OK as long as 203B is available.
I use RL-15/203B in most of my loads from 223, 257Roberts, some 308, 404 Jeffery, and 450/400 3 inch. Very versatile!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Good work, Rusty! I'd hate to be stranded without RL-15/203B.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is a bit of a relief ... though a source for purchase is not yet defined.

Powdervalley does show 1 pound containers but is not in stock. More expensive than RL-15.

Loss of RL-15/203B ould really screw up my reloading planning as it is the propellant I rely on for the largest number of chamberings. Figures ... I try to reduce the number of powders I stock and one of those gets difficult!

Thanks Rusty!

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes you wonder what Norma considers 2nds in production. Norma's powders are considerably more expensive. Rusty,do you see any difference shooting one from the other. I use R15 exclusively for some of my guns and I shoot quite abit. Business is business I guess. We'll see.
Kidd

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I find less change between batches of Norma 203B than I do with RL-15. Both are good versatile powders, I still use RL-15 using up my stock. I prefer to use 203B.

Maybe we'll see a price reduction with Western being the new US distributor?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley has RL15 in 5lb cans. It's also cheaper than everywhere else I checked, by quite a bit. I also ask if they had any info on it being discontinued. They have not heard anything.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone actually heard from the Alliant people yet?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent an information request to Alliant and have never received a response. Discouraging!

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a pound and it actually had a new design on the package as compared to the one most guys are used to. I asked the person who owned the store if she had heard of RL 15 going away and she said no and that she couldn't imagine it because she sells lots of it.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike, I did too! No answer! What's that old saw. . "The silence is deafening? Changes must be afoot??

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
From Alliant:

"RL 15 is not being dropped. However, we are currently out of it and
hope to have some more soon. Thanks for your return note.

Ben Amonette
Technical Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company"

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soooo, "the producer" is OUT! My 14 year old would respond with something like "come on" to that empty promise! I would respond with something like "yeah right"!

If it looks like a duck, etc!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
It's made by Norma so Alliant in the US could for sure be out.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
From Alliant:

"RL 15 is not being dropped. However, we are currently out of it and
hope to have some more soon. Thanks for your return note.

Ben Amonette
Technical Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company"

Thanks SJ

Pearland, TX Bass Pro had a bottle or two -- 30 bucks and tax is too high for me right now...

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Pearland, TX Bass Pro had a bottle or two -- 30 bucks and tax is too high for me right now...

Ouch, that is pricey. I should get another lb or two since that is the powder I use most.

I find that my local shop has far better prices than Say, Bass Pro or Gander Mtn. If only they'd get some WW .22 Hornet brass back in.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'd best run out and get some. My .35 Whelen thrives on that stuff.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I was talking to an Alliant "powder engineer" just the other day, asking about the Power Pro series. This is what he said...

"...We (Alliant) make Re15 in the good'ol USA at Alliant, and we just won the competition with other powder manufacturing companies to produce and supply Re15 to the US military for their sniper units - apparently 308 caliber...."

Alliant is likely "out of" Re15, because the US Military has snatched it all up, at least in the short term. You'll remember this happened with primers, which were in short supply during the Irag war.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find RL-15, get some of Alliant's Power Pro 2000-MR. It's the same or slightly slower burning rate as RL-15, but is ball powder so much better loading density. Awesome in .308 and 35 Whelen with heavy bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both rl15 and 203b are made by Bofors.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Guys,

I was talking to an Alliant "powder engineer" just the other day, asking about the Power Pro series. This is what he said...

"... We (Alliant) make Re15 in the good'ol USA at Alliant, and we just won the competition with other powder manufacturing companies to produce and supply Re15 to the US military for their sniper units - apparently 308 caliber...."

Alliant is likely "out of" Re15, because the US Military has snatched it all up, at least in the short term. You'll remember this happened with primers, which were in short supply during the Irag war.

Regards, AIU

I think the guy you were talking to was an impostor or an idiot. Says right on the label, "Made in Sweden".

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you guys are CORRECT. I checked my cannister and it says MADE IN SWEDEN FOR ALLIANT. The guy was full of shit!! I should not have not believed him. He had some other things to say, but not worth repeating here. Why waste your time. Sorry, I apologize. Regard, AIU.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Yes, you guys are CORRECT. I checked my cannister and it says MADE IN SWEDEN FOR ALLIANT. The guy was full of shit!! I should not have not believed him. He had some other things to say, but not worth repeating here. Why waste your time. Sorry, I apologize. Regard, AIU.

Makes ya wonder who or what is other the other end of the line when you call for support, don't it.
Maybe it was this guy.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add something more to this. This is probably my favorite powder. I buy it in five pound jugs and currently have three of them. Two of them have on the label made in the USA and the third most current one has made in Sweden. All the previous ones had made in Sweden on them. So go figure that. Maybe a quality control problem printing labels. Regardless I hope they continue
Keeping us supplied. With this terrific powder.
Kidd

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post

Label says it all!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I suspect that Alliant requires that its own production facilities compete with others (Bofors) to get production contracts or contracts with others if their own production facilities are busy at the moment. Would not be surprising ... and would tend to explain the production variances we see in this canister powder.

So, it is entirely possible RL-15 is made in BOTH places from time to time.

Is OK by me ... just so they keep making it because I use it in so many chamberings! (Including .308 where it has proven itself to be very accurate w 175 gr SMKs.)

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'd be willing to bet that Alliant doesn't have a powder manufacturing facility in the USA. I imagine they out-source everything.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should call again for clarification. I'd like to see more of these powders made in the USA.

We need to start making more things in our country!

Our country needs to become more busness friendly, and on that note be sure to vote this fall!!

Regards, AIU