THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Harrell Premium Culver: Initial mild dissapointment...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harrell Premium Culver: Initial mild dissapointment...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I recieved a Harrell's Premium Culver powder measure and Sinclair Bench Stand as a Christmas Gift. Impressive looking afair, however, I was somewhat disappointed with it's performance. I threw various load weights of both Winchester 231 and Hodgdon Titegroup to get an idea of its consistency. Using consistent technique, as supplied with the measure, I obtained weights that varied by .2 grains on the low end and .8 grains on the high end. Any ideas? Regards, Matt.

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 02-11-2002).]

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
Matt,

I have a Harrell's and get great consistancy with it. Ball powders are right on the money every time and course stick powders are less than .2 grs. off. That's as good as I've seen any other brand powder measure do. Have you run a lb. or two of powder through it to coat the inside with residue?

one of us
posted Hide Post
fnf,
No, as a matter of fact, this was the first powder through the measure. I did throw 5 or 6 charges before I began checking weights though. I suspect I'm missing something? Thank you, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I have begun to patronize a 'smith in Anchorage who has a "candy store" for benchresters in a room adjacent to his garage. He carries all quality stuff including the Harrel measures. I was initially surprised to see one as they are spendy. He sells them regularly. People who are serious (judging by the rigs I saw in his 'to do' rack) must think they are worth it.
Before you get disappointed throw 20 charges each of small, medium and large charges from a run-of-the-mill measure like RCBS and see how it measures.
I bought an RCBS at a garage sale for $25.00 and weighed the charges on a lab scale that'll go down to 0.0001 gram. My RCBS is good for about 0.01 gram. that is about 0.15 grains. I'll bet that $275.00 Harrell's will do alot better than this old measure. I agree with fshnfool, give it some time. Break it in.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
Matt,

I can't remember whether it was the Harrell's or one of my other measures that had instructions to run a lb. or two through to dry lube the inside. Powder residue is somewhat similar to graphite. It'll get broken in when its fully coated inside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
Gentlemen,
I recieved a Harrell's Premium Culver powder measure and Sinclair Bench Stand as a Christmas Gift. Impressive looking afair, however, I was somewhat disappointed with it's performance. I threw various load weights of both Winchester 231 and Hodgdon Titegroup to get an idea of its consistency. Using consistent technique, as supplied with the measure, I obtained weights that varied by .2 grains on the low end and .8 grains on the high end. Any ideas? Regards, Matt.
Matt, There is a certain fellow by the name of Jim Carstensen PH:563-689-6258 who will put click inserts for Harrells powder measure or you may want to call Harrell's. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 02-11-2002).]

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote