Find
Notify
Tools

Lubing 2000 cases!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Normally I reload a small batch of rifle ammo at a time. Use Hornady's version of imperial wax and a finger. Works fine for 20 cases.

YEARS ago I used the RCBS gel and green pad. Load a truck load of pistol but all carbide or Nitride so no lube needed.

Just looking for a quick and easy way to lube 2000+ 223 cases.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had good luck with dillons spray lube bad luck with hornadys dry lube

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some spray lubes out there like lyman and hornady one shot. Those should work fine for 223. I would get a bucket, pour some brass, spray, more brass, spray, etc. until all the brass are in there, then roll the bucket around. You can check out the directions on the cans--I think one shot says to let it dry and don't bother cleaning it off. The lyman I think says it's water soluble and can be washed off or wiped off by hand. For bulk I'd think you want to spend less time handling each individual case. Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the Dillon spray as well. I bought a large aluminum foil type roasting pan at the local supermarket. Put a bunch of cases in the pan spray and roll them around. You'll have to do a few batches to handle 2000 cases.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Midway liquid lube in the pump bottle put cases in a box spray some lube on shake them around let them set for a few minutes. Then resize.

Very easy

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with Hornady One Shot

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I had never used a spray so glad to hear recommendations. Will hit Cabalas Monday when I go to town.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Bardahl on a folded rag and roll.
tu2 roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What butchloc said, plus one!

I bought a rimmed cookie tray, and just lay about 200 223 cases at a time on it, then spray with the Dillon stuff. Leave the rows about one cartridge shy of a full row, and after spraying, just roll them gently back and forth.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, am a proponent of the lanolin in alcohol spray. FWIW, I used it to lube and size some 5K 5.56 cases. The surface tension is pretty low, so the stuff actually "creeps" its way around the cases, and the alcohol weathers off, leaving a thin film of lanolin. To me, the worst part of using that stuff is cleaning the cases after sizing.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'll give another vote for hornady one shot. I've used a few different spray lubes and some didn't work that well for me, but I know for a fact the Hornady stuff does.

What I do is use a one gallon round ice cream tub, put a bit of brass in the bottom and give it a spray. Next, and here is a big help, tip the tub at a 45 degree or so angle and shake gently until all the cases line up with the mouths up. Now give another shot on the case mouths so they get lubed and you are good to go. You can figure out how much to spray, I'd guesstimate around 3 seconds per each of the 2 passes but of course it depends on how much brass you are doing per batch.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have used the Midway spray, Hornady spray, and Dillon.. They are all about the same..

I dump whater cases I'm working with in a large flat tupperware container and spray away... roll em around a bit and spray again.. this keeps the spray off the floor and everywhere else, but still gets the job done.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. 97% alcohol and a few ounces of lanolin in a spray bottle. mix and shke until no more lanolin will dissolve.

I spray moderately 223 cases in a metal 9x13 baking pan, gently shaking it so most cases stnd up at one end, light spray mist and voila, cases and inside necks are lubed.

Place in sun or in front of a fan for a few minutes to evaporate the alcohol/water and size away. I sued to wash in cold water with dish detergent, but now I simply load and fire...

Oh, I use ss pins and lemishine/detergent to clean cases, so they are sparkly!

Your local drug store probably carries pure lanolin for a few bucks for an 8 ounce bottle or tube.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Picked up some Hornady spray at Cabelas yesterday. Also found some Lanolin in the bath closet. So thought I might try both. Do have concerns the lanolin isn't organic. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I do 500 at a time using an inexpensive large plastic bowl from Walmart and Hornady One Shot spray lube.

I don't know the size in quarts but it's about one foot wide and six or seven inches deep.

After a spin in a pair of corncob vibro tumblers and then a rotary media separator I dump the cases in the large Walmart bowl. I then spray the piss out of them with Hornady One Shot spray lube and roll and swirl the cases inside the bowl vigorously like a gold crazed 49er panning for his fortune. This spreads the lube evenly and thoroughly. Don't skimp on lube in a multi progressive

I then set the bowl on the right side of my progressive press and then feed the beast.

I store the bowl unwashed in one of my cabinets upside down so it won't collect dust.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Picked up some Hornady spray at Cabelas yesterday. Also found some Lanolin in the bath closet. So thought I might try both. Do have concerns the lanolin isn't organic. rotflmo

How can lanolin not be organic--it comes from sheeps wool?

Confused

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If by organic you mean containing carbon, then it certainly is-

Type of lanolic acid

Carbon chain length

Alpha hydroxy normal C 13–C 24
Alpha hydroxy iso C 13–C 23
Alpha hydroxy anteiso C 12–C 24

Apparently, since it lack glecerides, it is not a true fat, not really sure what that means but it sure works and is easy to use and dissolves in alcohol and is not "wet" when in use- making resizing easy with no dents from deposits of lube in the shoulder like I used to get with commercial lubes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady hazmat free lube and a 5 gallon bucket -- and likely a 1 quart or 1/2 gallon weed sprayer ... squirt squirt, lid on, roll around the room, repeat once, --if there's any perceived trouble, repeat

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can lanolin not be organic--it comes from sheeps wool?

Same way there is organic meat and nonorganic.

But it was a joke. we ended up with the lanolin because a couple years ago my daughters were here and one was giving the other a hard time about using the wrong type while she was breast feeding. Nonorganic can POSSIBLY have insecticide when gave effect the baby etc etc. So she had to run to down and get another brand and this one here.

What do I know I was raise with no seat belt (except your dad's arm) road bikes with no helmet etc. It's a shock I lived this long. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K