New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm STW loads w/GS Custom bullets?
 Login/Join

<Big John>
posted
Anybody have any load data for the 130 grain GS Custom HV solids in the 7STW? I have seen load data using SA powders, but not fo US powders. Will be using them in a Sendero Stainless fluted. thanks

<ss8541>
posted
I have a custom 7STW built off of a Sendero. It now has a 27.5", 1-10 twist K&P barrel on it. I have been working with the 130 grain HV for a little while know. I have worked up loads with RL-22, and IMR-7828. I have used both winchester and Remington brass. I started with 80 grains of each, and worked up. I found IMR-7828 to be the most consistent powder so far. I worked all the way up to 87 grains in the Winchester brass and 86 grains in the Remington brass. Both of these top loads offered to much head expansion but 4000+ fps. I have since settled on 85.5 grains of 7828 for just over 3800 fps. My rifle shoots 3-shot groups that average under .25 MOA with this load. This is about as hot as I like my hunting loads. In 80 degree temps I will get about 4 reloads per case at these pressures. They seem to shoot flatter then what my drop chart said for a BC of .550 and a G5 drag curve. with a 275 yard Zero I had 1" less drop at 400 then what I calculated. These bullets have been great as far as bore fouling goes too. I am out of time for further load development before deer season, but I do have a great load already. This winter I will try a couple of other powders. Gerard recommended trying 4831 too. This weekend I will shoot just a couple of test loads with Western powders big boy. I think this powder will be to slow though. I will also try N165 when I get a chance. Please let me know how your testing goes. Oh, by the way I am using an overall length of 3.63", and a 215M primer. Your top load should end up compressed with the 7828. I was a little worried when I started working with these bullets. My first load with 80 grains of RL-22 in Remington brass went through the chronograph at 3720. I was afraid to shoot the next set of two with 80.5 grains. My fastest was Remington brass and 85 grains of 7828 for 4074fps. This was a 2 shot average with a SD of 7 fps. This was way to hot though. The bolt was a little sticky. I found that these bullets didn't group that well (.75 MOA) until I got the pressure up a little (around 3700 fps). I hope this helps.
Vince

<Big John>
posted
You better believe it helps!! I got the same powder advice from Gerard, but it is good to hear the other info. I will be working new Rem brass. I will try your loads and see what the crony shows.

About the BC, Gerard said he was conservative and many people have reported actual calculated BC to be higher. Did you say you had 1" drop at 400 yds or your load did not drop as much as calculated at 400Yds by 1"?

Have you tried the bullet on game? How did it perform?

Well I gotta run... 2 months to rifle season and no load yet!!!

Thanks,
John