Find
Notify
Tools

Necking up .270 to 30.06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
Gents a quick question if I may, can one sucessfully neck up .270 cases to .30-06?

I prefer Norma cases for my 30.06 but need to be able to distinguish two externally very similar loads (180 grain partitions and 165 gr Speers) quickly and easily.

I have read that folk use different headstamped brass for different loads but have access shed load of norma .270 brass as well as my own .30.06 stuff.

This would be for domestic consumption, so no travel issues, and I have ordinary .30-06 loading dies.

With thanks,

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I usually start from 25-06 if I have too much time on hand

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you lube the neck inside and out, it ought to work with one pass of the die. I don't even know if it would fit, but if there is a chance of a redone 30-06 cartridge being loaded into a .270, I don't think I'd do it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Mark one with a Sharpie pen...no resizing required...or nail polish if you worried about the Sharpie wearing off.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Beat me to the Sharpie. I color the primers of different loads to track them. They also have a paint pen now so you could fill the headstamp in with different colors of paint.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Make sure to check your OAL the 270 starts out longer it will shorten some as you neck it up but it still might be too long.

I mark a lot of loads with a Sharpie

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done this before, I would anneal the necks after you are done though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is best done with a tapered expander. Some dies come with a tapered expander button, but most use a simple ball on the end which is a bit less conducive to neck-up operatons. If you have or can get an intermediate 7mm (.284") expander then you might want to do it in two steps. Sometimes a "neck-up" tends to leave the neck walls less consistent in thickness, but likely not so much as to cause a problem.

Don't worry about you or someone else chambering a .30-06 made on .270 brass in a .270 -- it simply won't go.

Nonetheless, I like the idea of painting the case head better than using reformed .270 brass -- unless you have a lot of the .270, it is cheap or free, and you have no .270 in which to use it.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use a 165 partition on everything and be happy.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
I usually start from 25-06 if I have too much time on hand

In that case maybe I should start with a .257 Weatherby! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
If you lube the neck inside and out, it ought to work with one pass of the die. I don't even know if it would fit, but if there is a chance of a redone 30-06 cartridge being loaded into a .270, I don't think I'd do it.

Thank you beeman.

No fear of it being chambered in a .270 as I don't have one.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Beat me to the Sharpie. I color the primers of different loads to track them. They also have a paint pen now so you could fill the headstamp in with different colors of paint.

quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
Mark one with a Sharpie pen...no resizing required...or nail polish if you worried about the Sharpie wearing off.

Thank you chaps, I do use the marker pen method during load development so it's a good idea.

A slight problem has been that once the cases get tumbled it can rub off on a few of them but the tip about filling the headstamp is noted.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midminnesota:
I have done this before, I would anneal the necks after you are done though.

Cheers for that, Norma is usually pretty good from the factory but I'll certainly look into it.

quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Make sure to check your OAL the 270 starts out longer it will shorten some as you neck it up but it still might be too long.

I mark a lot of loads with a Sharpie

Thanks Paul, good stuff and I will check case length after I'm done.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It is best done with a tapered expander. Some dies come with a tapered expander button, but most use a simple ball on the end which is a bit less conducive to neck-up operatons. If you have or can get an intermediate 7mm (.284") expander then you might want to do it in two steps. Sometimes a "neck-up" tends to leave the neck walls less consistent in thickness, but likely not so much as to cause a problem.

Don't worry about you or someone else chambering a .30-06 made on .270 brass in a .270 -- it simply won't go.

Nonetheless, I like the idea of painting the case head better than using reformed .270 brass -- unless you have a lot of the .270, it is cheap or free, and you have no .270 in which to use it.

Thank you for the in-depth post Stonecreek,you nailed it in your last paragraph. I've found a source of .270 brass from a Forestry Commission ranger friend who doesn't reload. I casually asked if he kept his brass and am now due about 300 pieces. I intend to give most to a friend who has a .270 but if I can make it work for my day to day deer load in the UK, then it's a result.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Just use a 165 partition on everything and be happy.

For various reasons, this would not work.