New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 6.5 Wildcat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been thinking about another Encore Barrel and I want to play with a) a wildcat, improved, or proprietary and b)a 6.5 mm (260) caliber. So what are your suggestions? Keep in mind I would at least like dies to be available, and some data from source. I don't mind expirimenting but I would like to start on solid ground. Thanks, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you look at the european version of the 6.5/06. It is called the 6.5x65 and is a factory round loaded by RWS. Cases can be easily made from 270 win without having to trim the necks if you don't want to spring for 6.5 x65 brass

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Or another European round: the 6.5x68mm.
I'm not sure who makes them, but I have seen
RWS (I think!)brass at the local range shop.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
How about the 6.5-300WSM
It looks like a very efficient and accurate design.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Another tamed wildcat in .264 is the 6,5-.284 Norma. Take a look at www.norma.cc, where you find some information.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
Call Richard Beebe at Redding and ask him about the 6.5 Redding. Its basically an improved 6.5x57. It is certainly the equal of the .256 Newton, which would be another candidate.

[This message has been edited by Slamfire (edited 06-13-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Why don't you look at the european version of the 6.5/06. It is called the 6.5x65 and is a factory round loaded by RWS. Cases can be easily made from 270 win without having to trim the necks if you don't want to spring for 6.5 x65 brass

Not so, Snowman. The European version of the 6.5/06 is called 6,5 x 64 Brenneke, and was invented by Hannes Kepplinger with support of Brenneke and MEN. The 6,5 x 65 RWS, which you quoted, is different in case dimensions and has another history. It is more popular though, and probably the superior round.

Regards,
Alexander Eichener
carcano91@hotmail.com

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
All,
Just in case there might be some interest, I found Hirtenburger brass for the 6.5 x 68 at the Old Western Scrounger for $9.51/20 cases. It is listed under the "Specials". I have ordered some to test since the RWS prices are a lot higher.
Bill

<chris schwartz>
posted
6.5/284 is a number that is getting
popular with target shooters and hunters.

Nice short, fat case. Will work well in
standard action. Easy to throat to your
preference. Good performance.

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:
The 6,5 x 65 RWS, which you quoted, is different in case dimensions and has another history.

The reason was to revive the many old 6,5 x 57 (R) guns, re-ream the chambers and do away with the over-long throat of the former. So far, the 6,5 x 65 (R) RWS seems moderately popular here.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
LoneEagle, take a look at the .264 Hawk at the Z-hat web site. I had Fred make a rifle for me chambered for this round. He has dies and Quality Cartridge makes brass.