New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a "Best Load?"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been reloading a very long time and have some favorite loads, that shoot accurately in my rifles and give me good case life. I remember Ken Waters endorsing some loads as a 'best load.' I've also noted folks here on AR discussing a particular load as a 'best load.'
So how do you define a 'Best Load?"
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Here is the way I see it...
What is the difference between "reloading" and "handloading"?

Reloading is the simply form of repacking ammo to use again just following the factory load....hundreds of the same "bang away" stuff,normanly on the cheap,to shoot more....

Handloading is taking one firearm,several components by matching up,testing and tuning to give the "best" results in THAT firearm...
hence the the term..."Best Load"

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We call em "clothes pinners". After all is done and holes touch, the rifle has to shoot one of the clothes pins holding the target on the frame. Trick is the clothes pin must still function. Then that load gets transfered from the loading log to the Load Book. One definition.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
best load ..
in the poster's mind, under their criteria, the combination of (at least) acceptable accuracy, velocity, pressure, with the optionals of recoil and operating the firearm (properly)

What *I* consider to be a "Best load" for a 416 rigby .. say 1/2 MOA 3 shot, 2400fps, 400gr hornady soft, at lowest possible workign pressure is a JOKE to the lad that likes 350gr at 2800fps, running 60kpsi, accepting 1.5moa in a braked rifle...

i LIKE 165gr .300 winmags at 3000fps .. in my rifle, most of those loads are better than moa ... some folks think "best" 300win means 180 at 3100, or 150 at 3200 ...

BEST means subjective OR meets all predefined requirements OR favorite, and sometimes all of the above.

clothespinners? (chuckle) when you hit a cloths pin with a .550 (yes, .550) there's nor much let working cept the tooth picks

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me its the one that shoots the best and cost the least. With the least amount of load development. Then gets the job done I need it to do.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .404:

Reloading is the simply form of repacking ammo to use again just following the factory load....

I don't like this silly (and elitiest) statement. NO ONE, don't care how much of a snob they are, started knowing everything they know NOW, nor do they know as much as they will tomorrow. However, should one tell me that they began reloading with as much knowledge as they have today in handloading, I MIGHT be inclined to agree with them.

As long as they are SAFE they are enjoying themselves, and reloading, just as much as the next guy..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I remember Ken Waters endorsing some loads as a 'best load.' I've also noted folks here on AR discussing a particular load as a 'best load.'
I'd suggest that "Best Load" is slightly different from person to person and from task to task.

For example, you mentioned having, "some favorite loads, that shoot accurately in my rifles and give me good case life.", which would be a set of criteria that you have applied. That is also some of the same criteria that Mr. Waters used when recommending a Load as a Best Load(which you probably know).

But, I can see where the criteria can change from Hunt to Hunt. If shooting relatively close on very tough Game(Hogs, Bears, etc. and you want Exits, then the "Best Load" is not the same as using the same rifle for long distance Deer Shooting.

One of the great things about Reloading is we get to Custom Tune our final Load to meat Big Grin meet our specific Hunting conditions and the Game being persued to create our Best Load.

As an example, if you are Hunting Bear up close and have a choice between a 0.4" Partition group running 2400fps and a 0.7" Partition group running 3000fps, is the 0.3" difference more important than the Energy available?

By Reloading, we all get to select what we want to use.

Best Load to you! Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off topic: "I don't like this silly (and elitiest) statement. NO ONE, don't care how much of a snob they are, started knowing everything they know NOW, nor do they know as much as they well tomorrow. However, should one tell me that they began reloading with as much knowledge as they have today in handloading, I MIGHT be inclined to agree with them"

I don't like eletist attitudes either but the terms "reloading" and "handloading" do refer to vastly different levels of care and skill.

Both terms indicate a valid difference in craftsmanship on the end product. One guy can build two bookcases, one a utility grade that serves its purpose in his loading room, the other a furniture grade that becomes part of his funiture. One is "homemade", the other is "handcrafted", each term reflecting both the knowledge and skill used to do the job, and by the same person. Or they could be built by different people, one who didn't have the skill to do the better quality of work; just a fact.

A newbie, by definition, has a lot to learn. That's true of anything and it's not a smear. All the newbie reloader CAN do is pick a book load and push it together as best he can, it is his starting place. The product will surely serve his initial needs in that the bullets will punch holes in a target or kill a deer and he will have fun. He is, at that point, a "reloader" and that may be all he will ever want to do. That's no slam, just a fact!

But calling the excellant works of a true experienced craftsman "homemade" is a poor reflection of the quality of his best results. Ditto when refering to ammo that is reloaded vs. that which is handloaded; there's nothing snobbish about it.

On topic: All a "best load" means is that's the best that has been found so far. It doesn't mean it's the best possible.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever load brings the meat home is the best load for me, it has to group well also.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shucks, I thought this was the reloading forum.
I got chewed out once by a guy who said that handloading was when you used a Lee loader or a 310 tool and reloading was when you used a C press. Another guy told me handloading was when you used a single stage press, and reloading was when you used a progressive press. Smiler

I also reload for a variety of firearms. The semiautos have different needs than do my doubles and they differ from the needs for my bolts. I measure my hunting loads differently from my target loads.

I was curious what parameters others use to make their choices.

I hear the following, so far,in no particular order: functioning in firearm, accuracy, velocity range, performance on game, cost, pressure, case life, ease of development.
The order of importance or inclusion of a particular parameter is an individual choice.

Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The “best load” to me is the load that gives the best accuracy at the highest velocity possible without creating excessive pressure. If best accuracy is a grain or two below book maximum, so be it. I can compensate for lower velocity but I can’t compensate for poor accuracy.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
quote:

So how do you define a 'Best Load?"
Bfly

The one you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I hear the following, so far,in no particular order: functioning in firearm, accuracy, velocity range, performance on game, cost, pressure, case life, ease of development.
The order of importance or inclusion of a particular parameter is an individual choice.
Absolutely correct. It is all about picking what is the most important characteristics to you and then getting the best Balance of those traits that you can.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
this is some advice that was given to me many years ago Select the weight and type of bullet you will use.
Select a powder that has been tested successful by other shooters.
Determine the range of powder loads what have been successful with others.
Load three rounds at each load and chronograph them at the range.
Load ten rounds of the most promising loads and test for accuracy
Analyze the targets for spread (vertical & windage) and select the best, then tweak the best load, if necessary, to maximize your accuracy.
the guy is a benchrest shooter and he hated to waste a barrel working up loads.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote