Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted
Was wondering if the RCBS reloading kit is a good kit to start reloading? I use to reload many years ago but sold my stuff after a a PCS move with the Air Force. I don't want anything fancy and do not plan on going on a reloading binge or getting to crazy with it. I just want to develop good hunting loads and possibly some pistol loads as well. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably could not do any better. Your grandkids will not wear it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is over 30 yrs old and going strong.
No problem at all.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+3 on the RCBS. Mine is also over 30yrs old and still works great. IMO the RCBS kit is by far the best first investment in Reloading equipment. Natchez Shooters Supply has a pretty good price on them:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC09357

All you need after that kit is dies and components for your particular calibers.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also check MidSouth Shooter Supply. A week or two ago they had the RC kit on sale for $220.00
You can't beat that with a stick.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, now another question for you. I've been told that the RCBS dies are not the best and to go with either Redding or Hornady. Is this correct or are the RCBS dies just as good?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rcbs and lee dies are fine.Thats all i use.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard from some guys that try to wring out the most in accuracy that Redding is best. I have RCBS and a Lee or two and they do fine. Its hard to beat Lees price but I like RCBS warranty better.

I would say that odd are you will never notice a difference unless you are a bench rester.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just another opinion but, I think Redding are the best but the difference , in most cases is very little compared to RCBS. I have both and prefer the Reddings but usually can't justify the nearly 30% increase in price over RCBS or any others for that matter.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys, i'm going to look into getting the RCBS Rockchucker kit and some dies. I don't bench shoot except to check zero prior to hunting season, though the wife likes to shoot her 7mm-08 when it's warm enough. I'll check those prices and see what kind of deal I can get.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your wife shoots a great caliber. My favorite.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I'll be shooting that bad boy on a caribou hunt next fall, after we get back from sheep hunting. Got any good loads that would work on sheep and caribou? I like the Nosler Partitions a lot but might try something else if it shoots well in her rifle.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were with you I would be shooting 140TSx with 44.5 gr of Varget and CCI BR2 primers at 2840 fps from a 20" varmint barrel. Shoots .350 groups.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look into those TSX's, they I see people talking about them on a lot of different sites. Who makes those?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnesbullets.com

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rcbs supreme reloading kit, i think there's a MASTER kit after that...

i've seen .1XX groups from lathe turned hand dies, ... so it's more how you use them!!

i have used, and like, hornady, redding, rcbs, ch4d, lee, leeloader, and several i've made myself.... all work, if you figure them out.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that going with RCBS dies is a good way to go. They are a good solid "middle of the road" choice and have a superb warrantee. I personaly don't care for Lee dies. Reddings may be better in some cases but cost more. All in all I don't think I've ever had a bad set of RCBS dies and I've had 50 or so sets, they will work and are reasonably priced.................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
You guys are making this to easy for me, I appreciate it. When I decide to purchase my reloading equipment it will the RCBS kit and I'll use their dies too since I'm only reloading for a few rifles and maybe a pistol. Doing the research for the right loads will be fun and I'll get to spend some time at the range getting everything dialed in. Feel free to keep the info coming.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some things you will need in addition to the kit. Case Trimmer and the Lyman one is a good starter. Deburring tool, Calipers, an extra loading tray is nice, case holders are sold separate from the dies. Don't forget to order those. Midway has everything you need. Primer pocket cleaner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut, What calibers are you going to be reloading for? I bet you can find some great suggestions for starting loads etc. here on this forum........................DJ

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here ya go
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=646599

find a buddy that can order this from midway, if he's an ffl, and willing to share, it will be cheaper.

this has everything but caseholder, dies, and trimmer.. and a case trimmer can wait quite awhile for the new reloader.

one work of advice.. NEVER mix headstamps on brass.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
djpaintles, I will be loading for 270, 375 H&H, and 7mm-08. Eventually I will be purchasing a pistol but as for now the rifles are all I'll be reloading.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I will be the lone wolf in this discussion. I vote for the Lyman Crusher Kit. I bought mine for $239 from Cabela's about seven years ago. It came with the press, a primer arm which I do not use, the powder measurer, powder scale (now an electronic one) and a case trimmer with a full range of pilots, a case lube pad and a primer turner. It was to replace the old Lee Anniversary I bought. I gave the Lee away and kept the Lee Auto Hand Primer as it was one of the best I have ever used. I had an occasion in which something happened on the press after I had it for three or four years. I contacted Lyman and shipped it off to the company fully expecting a repair job. Exactly two weeks later I got a box from UPS with a brand new press, a letter of appology for the press malfuntion in the first place and a check to cover the cost of shipping. I feel that with customer service like that you just cannot go wrong. That said, it seems that RCBS is the gold standard in the reloading industry, but for my money, I'll take Lyman. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote