New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes 195 gr 7mm bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been thinking about playing with the Barnes original in 195 gr in my 7mm Mag. I was thinking about 2400 fps or so so I could duplicate the original velocity of the 7x57 Mauser with a heavier bullet.

My question is if any of you have any experience with them and could tell me what to expect in the way of acuracy and performance on game. I normally shoot bullets aroung 160 gr and have had good luck with them.

Any advice?

Mac

------------------
When hunting and fishing get in the way of your job, it is time to quit the job!

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
That bullet would have an awesome sectional density. It would expand well and drive straight and deep on game. Plus with a 7mm mag you could probably expect 2600 or maybe even 2700 fps.

In my opinion, absolute perfection.

If they stabilize.

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
There is some question in my mind as to whether that bullet will expand at an impact velocity below ~2100 fps, but I have not tried it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My impression is that Barnes originals are a bit on the soft side. Load 'em up and shoot 'em into a row of water-filled plastic milk jugs and see what you recover. My bet is that they will expand just fine at 2400 muzzle velocity.