New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee V Redding
 Login/Join

<vssf>
posted
Anyone measured the difference in run out between using the Lee bullet seating die versus the Redding competition seating die. The calibers I'm interested in are 223 and 308. Bullet seating carried out after neck sizing.

Regards

Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello VSSF, currently I am using both the LEE seating dies (that comes with each set) and the associated factory crimping dies during the seating operation. I have not measured the runout due to lack of equipment, but can infer them from the grouping.

For a 30-06 (which is .308), at 100 yds, I have grown to expect a minimum of 0.692. Out of every 100 rounds, I get one wild-ass load which falls out of that parameter.

For the reloads I do for my friend's 300 Win Mag (also 0.308), achives the same degree of confidence.

Pistola - 357 Mag I have achieved a 0.143" grouping at 25 yards reloading in mass.

What I do NOT like about the Lee seating die is a) I have to play Lewis & Clarke during my initial load's seating to ensure proper depth; b) Rifle dies specifically: tend to mar the surface around the tip of the bullet which becomes clearly discernable only in strong sunlight at the range due to the design of the seating adjustment screw.

I do like the low cost however that this time and will continue to use it until at such time as I can blow another wade of cash for something better.

Best regards,
Alex

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
vssf - I cannot comment on LEE dies - I don�t use them. I have always used Redding - Ultramag with competition die sets or their standard sets. In regards to run out, I regularly check with a Sinclair Concentricity gage. On the rare occasion do I find a problem with run out. This is always traced back to a problem with brass and not the press or die set.

If money is not a big deal, I believe that Redding is a step above the Lee press and dies. The machining quality of Redding is quite high. I still turn my expander buttons and inspect the dies, however, I am pleased with the results across the board. Considering that I have over 14 die sets for various calibers, I have a lot of experience with Redding.

Another thought - If you are really after supreme loading accuracy, consider the Sinclair Arbor Press with Wilson die sets. I use this setup for my competition and varmint rifles. You can achieve amazing precision with this gear.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
There are too many physical differences in the two to make any valid comparisons. It is also very dependant on the shape of the meplat and ogive of the bullets used. The Lee, and many others, typically bear on the meplat in seating bullets. The compatibility and fit of the bullet being seated to the shape of the seating button can and will introduce runout. The Redding competition seater bears mostly on the ogive giving it an edge to start with.

Technique in seating bullets with standard seaters can also aid in reducing runout. Progressively rotating the cartridge as you seat the bullet can significantly reduce runout with the seaters which bear on the meplat. Redding, or any seater, which either fits the bullet used or which bears on the ogive in seating, will be inherently be more accurate. Bob

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about the Lee Collet neck sizing dies and the associated floating chamber seater, I highly recommend them. I know that I get outstanding performance out of my .222 loaded with them.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote