New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laupa 7X57 ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have some Laupa 7x57 170gr ammo, it chronos at 2600fps from my Model 70 Featherweight, I've never used it hunting before. I am going wild boar hunting and was wanting to know if this bullet is tough enough, if I get a close shot. I would think the long 170gr bullet, at moderate velocity would work well.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GSF1200,
Laupa ammo and brass has a very good reputaion here in the UK. I have a friend who has used it in his 6.5x55mm for deer stalking with very good results. Another brand to look for is Sako..again we generally find them to produce very consistant, accurate ammo.

I would think providing the 170grn ammo is not the target variety, it should work well for what you want. You will certainly get plenty of penertration..

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I would think this is more than adequate for the intended pupose.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
It'll be just fine. A 170 grn loaded by Lupua is probably going to generate about 2300 fps and heavy for caliber @ moderate velocity will penetrate like crazy so take any quartering or head on shot u want.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ammo makes 2600fps from my 22" barrel.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
That surprises me. I would have thought that factory ammo for older cartrifges would be loaded down because of many of the older rifles.

Most published handload data for 170ish grn bullets is in the 2450-2500 range from a 24 inch bbl

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike. The 7x57 is underloaded only here in the U.S. because of all the old weak 93a nd 95 mausers, along with remington rolling block rifles that were chambered for the round. Most European ammo in 7x57 is loaded to it's true potential. A careful handloader can duplicate European specs in a modern rifle like the Mod 70 Winchester or Mod 77 Ruger.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<OttoDude>
posted
GSF 1200,
If the ammo is not very old, the bullet is probably the 170grain Lapua Mega (the only 7mm hunting bullet Lapua makes nowadays). Mega is a quite good bullet, and it's popular in Finland for moose hunting. I've used a 180grain version in 308 loaded to 2460fps, and a friend of mine uses the 200 grainer in his 7.62X53R with success.

Good hunting!

Otto P.