New
Find
Notify
Tools

Media sticks in cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys I have a Dillon case vibrator and I have been having trouble with the media being "stuck" in the cases when done. Not really stuck but just that in many cases I have to use something to sort of start getting it loose. Is this a sign of the need for new media?

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your media may have some sort of crap in it that is setting up and hardening. I have no idea what that could be. I wash and dry my cases before I tumble them, or I just use my ultra-sonic cleaner. I like to think getting them clean before I really go after the crap on them helps to get them even cleaner when they're done and ready for the resizer. You can get a ten-pound bag of crushed hulls at any pet store for about eleven or twelve bucks. Some guys here report buying 50-pound bags of it at the feed store for twenty-five bucks. Give either one of those options a try.

What I do when I use my tumbler is to screw the "prospector's pan" type of sifter onto my tumbler with a 1/4-inch hole drilled through its center bottom. Then I flip the tumbler over (quickly) onto a 3.5-gallon bucket, and shake the thing like hell. I swirl it around, back and forth, and shake it up and down. The stuff comes out easily. I usually have zero to very little remaining in any case...

The quarter-inch bolts are drilled and attached to the tub 180 degrees apart. I can hold the tub tight to the bucket with my fingers and shake the hell out of the whole assembly. Works really well...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock:
Hey guys I have a Dillon case vibrator and I have been having trouble with the media being "stuck" in the cases when done. Not really stuck but just that in many cases I have to use something to sort of start getting it loose. Is this a sign of the need for new media?

If it didn`t cake in the brass before it`s a good assumption that it is past its usefulness.
I`ve heard some complaints of media packing in bottleneck brass due to it being too big. This is from people that buy from graineries or pet shops. There are various grits sizes and the larger ones are to avoided I guess.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had that problem too and found it was just "old" and too dirty. After I replaced it, I did not have any problems at all.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corn cob media stuck a lot more for me compared to walnut shell media. YMMV...

The RCBS Media Separator really speeded things up for me, although I still check each case for pesky media stuck in flash holes.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The RCBS Media Separator really speeded things up

Just use a media separator and give it 12 good, slow, revolutions.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help guys...

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Corn cob media stuck a lot more for me compared to walnut shell media. YMMV...

The RCBS Media Separator really speeded things up for me, although I still check each case for pesky media stuck in flash holes.

- mike

I use walnut shell media, and I decap after tumbling. No media in the flash holes, and tumbling never seemed to clean the primer pockets anyway.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
craigster says,
quote:
...tumbling never seemed to clean the primer pockets anyway.

Get the 2.5-liter ultra-sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. Them damned things clean the primer pocket (inside the case, too) like the case has never been fired. I love mine! Sixty bucks on sale; eighty when not on sale. Two-year replacement policy is either five or ten bucks per year-- can't remember which...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote