New
Find
Notify
Tools

mulitible cases in one chamber??????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You can shoot the 22 short, long, and long rifle in the same chamber with no problem

you can shoot the 38, 38 special, 357 mag in the same chamber with no problem.

So why does the 458 win and the lott not recommended to interchange. Maybe I am missing something simple or miss understood what I have read before. RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You can shoot the .458 Winchester in the .458 Lott...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNS:
You can shoot the 22 short, long, and long rifle in the same chamber with no problem

you can shoot the 38, 38 special, 357 mag in the same chamber with no problem.

So why does the 458 win and the lott not recommended to interchange. Maybe I am missing something simple or miss understood what I have read before. RNS

RNS/ The amount of hot HIGH pressure gas and burning powder is MUCH higher in a 458 rifle cartridge than pistol cartridges and even 454 Casull pistols don't reccomend shooting 45colt in chamber because of flame cutting and chamber erosion which would be very bad in a large volume rifle round....the longer shell MIGHT get stuck in the rough/erroded ring caused by the shorter round and if you really need a 458 then that would be hazardous to your health!!lol!!!good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Having had many of those rounds, including the 458 lott, I agree with the comments. I'd also add in regards to the lott, the best option if you want 458 level loads, is simply use the lott brass, and win mag data, worked like a champ in mine, and reduced pressures. The purpose of using 458 win mag ammo in the lott is in the event you are sepperated from your lott ammo, not for sustained use.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote