Find
Notify
Tools

Seating Depth - minimum shank in the neck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have heard many people say that 1 caliber length of the bullet shank needs to be in the case neck for proper tension.

I was told by a wildcat designer that 9/10 of a caliber length of the bullet shank needs to be in the case neck for proper tension.

Today I had a call with Barnes and the said .67 of a caliber length of the bullet shank needs to be in the case neck for proper tension.

What have you all heard or do you practice any of these "rules"?

BTW, I know it has to fit in the magazine and the chamber and I know about distance from the lands for accuracy. I am simply asking this as an isolated question related to minimum amount of bullet shank in the neck.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesNot trying to be funny , Mike, but I'm not sure what PROPER Neck TENSION is. Length of bullet insertion is only one determining factor, however( brass hardness , bullet jacket malleability, surfaces roughness and probably a few more ).
When designing my wildcats the shortest necks are 1 Caliber long and the longest were 1.75 calibers long. Didn't do this so much for retention but for concentricity . beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I start with one caliber deep.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I loaded some 5.56 with Berger 80.5's that engaged about .150". I got lower than expected velocities. Since my match was canceled by Irene I have a chance to do a little more work with it. If it's any help I was told to take the base of the shank above the boat tail to the base of the neck. The neck is .205 ish so you can't get a full caliber of grip.

Interestingly enough, .149 is 67% of caliber for 5.56.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
"proper neck tension" is probably the wrong phrase...how about consistent pressure, good burn, proper launch into the bore or whatever else you like...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Bottle neck Cartridges.-The base of the bullet (full diameter) when at the neck shoulder junction is best. But COL should be within SAAMI measurements. They do list maximum & minimum COL. Barns wants the bullet to be .050" off the lands to start. Berger has said its OK to jump there VLD bullets to the lands & may be better than a jam. I know the correct COL when i see it.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I designed my first couple wildcats with 1 caliber. As I necked those up I ended up with shorter necks. I never had an issue. If it holds the bullet firmly I live with it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the most definitive answer is "it depends".
A target cartridge that is loaded and then carefully put in a case and gently loaded one by one can get by with a lot less bullet in the neck than can a hunting cartridge that is banged around in a magazine and then racked roughly into battery.
The one calibre rule has been around for as long as I can remember --300Savage and 300WM being notable exceptions-- but I have personally had exceptions that worked very well. I think as long as you get enough bullet in the neck to hold it steady, you're good to go. This would be another vote for using flat based bullets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The only time I have run into this is with a M700 I have in -06 that has a long throat and long mag and am using light bullets. In order to seat the bullets close to the lands I have run loads with about 1/2 cal contact with no issues. They still stayed straight, gave sub MOA accuracy and never had one fall out Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my first question is whether it will fit into the magazine or not

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Ramrod, wasbeeman, and Blacktailer...see rule No 1

Mike

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats to Ramrod, wasbeeman, and Blacktailer...see rule No 1

Excuse me for wasting my time answering. Yes I had always heard "1 CALIBER". So I built my first wildcats using that rule. As I built others with shorter necks I had no issue. So Now I only worry about having enough tension to hold the bullet. So that is the only rule I now follow.

Go any place you want for dinner.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Paul,

You missed understood my post. My post was a compliment. The rules are obviously sarcastic and you first answer was a reasonable answer (as was BT's and wasbeeman's).

You basically said - hey I started with 1, I have used less, and now I really don't worry about it as long as it holds firmly; i.e., 2/3, 3/4 probably are all fine.

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i pretty much ignore the "one caliber" alledged rule...

one caliber of .223 is how much surface area?

and 1/2 caliber of .510 is how much?

i do know the square cubed law..

if you can crimp on the groove, the neck length is pretty much irrelevent.

i'll be at my desktop pc tomorrow evening, i think, which has my quickload installed

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39554 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paul,

You missed understood my post.

You are correct I guess I missed it completely. Roll Eyes

Guess my skin was also overly thin tonight.

Sorry. beer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
FWIW...I tested neck length "grip" in a 30-06 once...had no trouble with the bullet staying put to slightly less than 1/2 cal...~0.130". Bullet didn't move with recoil or banging against the magazine.

Only tested one round on the bottom of the stack through 10 firings. No difference in the groups, velocity, etc. I only fired 100 in 10 shoot groups, trimmed 0.025 each time, used 5 cases plus one for the control round. Used R-P brass

I think it depends on the caliber also. I seat some of my 17 to 22 cals fairly close to 1/2 cal depending on where the best accuracy is...some of my benchresters in the "olden days" were seated that way and had only the neck spring back to hold the bullet.

My large calibers get whatever the length of the case neck is.

I agree with the "it depends" scenario...it depends on the application and use.

Tell me Jeffe...what is the "square cube law"? That's a new one for me.... shocker Big Grin lol Hahahahahahah...

Luck

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
The only time I worry about neck tension is when I have to pull a bullet, and dont size the case again. Usually I use such loads for practice, loaded one at a time. Another obvious time is on heavy recoil cartridges, and the only one that it's an issue with is my 458, and I use a lee crimp on that one. The 458 is the only cartridge that I load and crimp. Many of my seating dies for the others don't even have the ability to crimp. I've been using Forster dies a lot.

I think neck tension for practically any normal cartridge is a non-issue, except for the situation such as really soft annealing of the necks, or reamed too thin in the neck, of there is something wrong with the die expander button. I've seen the latter on Lee dies more than once.

I've not yet been able to apply the same "rule" to the variety of cartridges and combos that I load, regarding the amount of the bullet that's in the neck and beyond. I do sorta look at the possibility of seating with the base of the bullet even with the bottom of the neck, but it seldom works out to be the best.

More often than not, I seat to the cannelure, and have not been able to prove with any particular rifle, except one, that a different seating depth gives better accuracy. Maybe I havent experimented enough, because I'm still sure it can make a difference. I have proven to myself that a deeply seated bullet in some rifles shoots much more accurately that a bullet seated out nearer the lands. That was on more than one CIP chamber and throat.

In some rifles it just wont work to seat the bullets out, so whatever is below the base of the neck just has to be. The obvious cartridge is a 300WM, and my 338, 30-06, 308 and others simply will not allow it because of magazine length and lands engagment, but they shoot so accurately with the deeply seated bullets (normal seating and OAL) that nothing could be measurably gained by seating differently.

I tried seating the bullets out in 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, 9.3x62, and others with CIP throats, and magazines with plenty of space. The only cartridge that showed accuracy improvment that appeared to be real was the 9.3x57, so I load the bullets even with the base of the neck for that one, partially to give max case capacity for the powder. All the others shoot so accurately with normal seating depth, that I just don't worry about it.

On the wildcat that I'm working with, I had the reamer made so that there is little room in front of the bullet when seated to a cannelure. In the selection of bullets that I may want to use there were none without a cannelure. I loaded some dummy rounds with the bullets seated to the crimp groove, and let the reamer maker take some measurments and cut the reamer accordingly. The cartridge is a belted mag, so when the chamber is cut, it turns out like the reamer maker planed it. That strategy worked out well one time, and I've yet to test the second one that I had done the same way. I already know the seating depth when I get the rifle back - no surprises. Sure, there is slight variation from brand to brand of bullets in the length of the ogive, and thus the distance to the lands, but it hasn't yet proven to be an issue in accuracy, or in any other way.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minimum seating depth is what ever is needed to keep the bullets from falling out.

The "one caliber deep" thing applied to black powder cartridges. A lot of smokeless cartridge necks are shorter than one caliber.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We tend to make something out of nothing these days..I normally start with one caliber depth on a hunting rifle as ammo can take a beating on Safari etc. and I have seen too many bullets stick in the lands and create a problem when loaded rounds were extracted spilling powder in the action and so fourth..

But in reality bullets have to be seated to fin into the magazines of todays guns unless your a custom rifle person, in which case you know your chamber specs and magazine length so you go from there. I used to do this, but from a hunting standpoint, its really an exercise in futility unless you just enjoy the game, in which case knock your lights out! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
Bottle neck Cartridges.-The base of the bullet (full diameter) when at the neck shoulder junction is best. ]

For most situations that is what I shoot for anymore. For me, the K.I.S.S. rule applies here.. With very few exceptions the tests Ive conducted reguarding seating depth have produced little to no gains in accuracy. I think manufacturing standards are much closer today and not as many "deep throated" bbls as there used to be may have some bearing. The two things I do NOT want to do are, a) rob myself of case capacity, or B) not seat it in deeply enough..

I think about 3/4 of the caliber is adequate for most applications though.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote