New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Ack Imp
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried Varget with 52gr bullets in this round? I have had real good luck in my 220 Swift but I have no experence with this round.
Thanks,Wayne

Posts: 40 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 02 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not used varget, but some folks I know have and like it. I shoot only two bullets in my 22-250AI, the 60 grain vmax driven by 40 grains of H380 and the 75 grain amax driven by 42 grains of RL19.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
I load varget for my 22-250 and love it. I am considering going to 22-250 AI and wonder how you guys like the performance?? My Rem VSS in 22-250 loves 37 grs of Varget with a 55gr Sierra hp gameking. Devastating!!Shoots the 53 gr Barnes X with 37 grs almost as well. I haven't had the success I was hoping for with Nosler bal tips in 40 or 50 gr, but that could just be this particular rifle. I am also considering rechambering my 25-06 to Ackley Improved. Do you guys have any experience or knowledge with it?? thanks..GREG

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Pecos,
What kind of velocity do you get in your 22-250 AI with the 75 grain AMAX? I have a .224-6mm Rem. I get 3500 fps with the 75 grainers and 47.5 gr of RL-22. I'm in the process of pillar bedding and glassing the stock right now so I'm not sure how much under 1/2 MOA groups I'll get. Just wondering how the 22-250 AI compares.
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Can I tag on another question here please?

What does AI do for .22/250? What are the differences?

You guys Stateside appear to have a liking for it so before my barrel burns out, I'd like to know why I should consider moving up (?) to Ackley Improved in the future.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It essentially makes a .22-250 into a .220 swift. It gives you about 100-150 more fps to play with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, that's a little bit more velocity with a little bit more powder - but how d'you get it in there - presumably the case neck is altered?

Going back to the Varget aspect of this thread, I couldn't belive how little of the is powder (that's how few of those tiny little sticks) it actually takes to send the pointer of my balance way off - five of them in fact threw the pointer from way off to spot on.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
In a properly cut 22-250AI chamber,you can fire a Factory round or equivelant. Upon firing,the case will expand to the new chamber's dimensions. Upon extraction,the difference is very evident. Most the taper out of the case sidewalls has been diminished and the shoulder angle is sharpened to 40degrees.

The resulting Improved cartridge has more internal capacity than the 220Swift. I am a devout Swift fan,but the 22-250AI gets the nod.

I find it a fantastic cartridge,that is very friendly to work with. Re-15 is my favored propellant,for the Swift,22-250 and the 22-250AI..............

<Greg Y>
posted
Big Stick. Have you tried any Varget in your 220 swift, 22-250 or 22-250AI?? What are the grain capacities of the 220 swift and the 22-250 AI?? Do you put custom triggers in most of your AI's?? I have put a jewel trigger in my 300 Weath Mag (I have really been pleased with it) and I am putting a Timney trigger in my 25-06, while it is in for the AI chamber work. GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
ACRecurve,

I get 3340 with the 75 grainers, using 42 grains of RL19. They will shoot just over 1/2 moa at 100, but due much better from 200 and beyond.

We fired a test group at 500 yards and they grouped 3.1 inches. The amax makes a very good long range coyote bullet, devastating.

I use it because its very accurate and does a good job bucking the wind we have here all the time.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Greg Y,

I tried Varget when it first came out,in multiple chamberings. It showed me nothing and I couldn't get the accuracy out of it,that I could Re-15. It meters very well and is slated to be temperature indifferent. But that matters little to me,as I live in Alaska and our temps are of course rather mild,compared to most places. I simply couldn't make Varget work very well,despite my best efforts. I tried it with heavy bullets in my 223's, a couple 22-250's and another 22-250Improved. Also tried it in various 7-08's. I read guys raving about it,but I couldn't find satisfaction with it.

The 22-250AI has a couple grain case capacity advantage,over the Swift. I am told that Nosler sheds pretty good light on the 22-250AI,in their newest #5 Reloading manual. I have not examined it,but look forward to it.

Most my stuff is based upon Rem 700's,their triggers can usually be manipulated easily enough,to find happiness. Jewell's are unsurpassed,in their excellence. I've had good luck with Timney's in Ruger 77 MK I's and had another on a Rem 700 based 308Win Silhouette rifle. It served well. I like Rifle Basix in the Rem 600 series. I like Dayton Traister's in Ruger MK II's and in the 77/22 K-Hornets I had built. The trigger is a very important component. In this day and age,there are numerous excellent offerings. If a Factory trigger won't reliably go where I like,I swap it out.

Be curious to hear your thoughts,regarding your pending 25-06AI.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've built two rifles in 22-250AI and 25-06 AI both are more accurate that their corresponding non AI calibers. Both were built on Mauser actions and to get <.5 MOA from any Mauser anything says alot about the cartridge. I have not used Varget in my 22-250AI, but have had good success with 53 gr Sierra HPBt's with IMR4350. The 22-250 AI will slightly outperform the 220 swift and has the enormous advantage of not requiring the constant neck trimming required for the swift. Interestingly the 25-06 AI I built would darn near match 257 WBY ballistics and demonstrated phenomenal accuracy with all bullet weights tried. This is a great cartridge IMHO.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
Rob. Congratulations on the mauser accuracy!! You must be loading your 25-06 AI pretty hot?? I like your report about the AI's being more accurate than their previous chamber life. It sounds like custom barrels were used(??)and did you do any other work..recrown, new trigger,square the action, etc.. etc, or did they just shoot better after taken to AI?? Would you share what powder and bullets you were using in the 25-06AI to get the velocities(and excellent group sizes??) near 257 Weath Mag??? I sure hope you aren't going to tell me that you moly-coat everything to achieve this. That is another step I don't want to get involved with...Thanks. GREG

<Greg Y>
posted
Bigstick. With you living in Alaska, have you teflon-coated any of your rifles?? I am wondering about performance in much colder conditions than we experience in Texas??I have hunted in 0-10 degree weather in the mid-west, but nothing approaching sub-zero temps. I hope to travel to Canada or Alaska in the near future, and was wondering if you could make recommendations on any prep work that might preclude a Texas boy from running into a "stuck" firing pin or some disaster(working up loads in such different temps???)... as that "book" animal walks away, laughing at me!!!Thanks.GREG