Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens Savage quick change barrel NOT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
This year I bought 4 Mod. 200 Stevens rifles, three of which were intended to be used in doing the quick change barrel thing.

The quick change was pushed back a little while I enjoyably reworked the rough triggers and shot the rifles in their suppllied cartridges as they were quite accurate out of the box.

Anyway the Shaw barrels I had made sat.

After reading a number of instructions on the ease of barrel change I proceded to put my barrel vise and New wrench to work and work and work. It didn't, even with an assist from my action wrench. As suggested in a number of instructions I applied the large rubber mallet to the wrench---NADA. Under the assumtion that perhaps a sharp blow would be better than the rubber hammers cushioned blow a large ball peen was put to use. All it did was seriously peen the edge of the wrench. The Barrel nut is still in place.

I did succeed in marring my .243 barrel in a number of places and slightly rub some bluing off the action. Put some penetrating on it and there it now sits.

I have had greater luck changing reluctant Mauser barrels that have been attached to their actions for 90 years or more.

Is their any good advice out there? Would a Propane torch help? At this point I am totally frustrated. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Bartsche: Check out reply on gunsmithing.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Get ahold of Clark....

He made me a wrench for taking off the barrel... and gave me one of those wrenches...

He used an old Savage in 06 that he had as a test bed...

I haven't changed the barrel on either one of mine yet, as I haven't gotten anything delivered yet from Shaw.. I am still waiting on my barrel I ordered from them last September or so...they are quoting 4 months out.. but that should be here soon.....

As far as marring up the wrench... I would have recommended putting the rubber mallet on the wrench and then hitting the mallet with the ballpeen hammer.....

This sure can put a fly in the ointment...

Talking to a couple of older high power shooters locally here... they change barrels all the time, just spin them on... maybe if you have to go to a gunsmith, to have the current barrel torqued off, and then when you put it back on, don't make it as tight as factory... as long as it head spaces...

I have set up a vise on my reload bench, and between that, and the wrenches Clark made for me, or gave me... I was going to use those... I also have a small hydrolic jack, I was going to use underneath the wrench to break that barrel nut free if it was too strong.. I saw a guy do that on an action when I was in the military...

it was a Remington 700 sniper rifle, at an armory....

I have used what Clark gave me to take off a Ruger Sporter Barrel so far, and it was tough to break, but once I had traction on it.. it came off real easily actually...

I think you and I are both experiencing a learning curve here...is all...

keep me posted!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Roger, i had one like that a couple years ago, didnt think it was going to come a part.
grind a chisel round to fit the grouve of the nut, on the bottom rap the nut in the grouve with the chisel angled CCW and a 8oz hammer, not to hard. do this at diffrent points on the nut. It should start to move.
Mine did.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I would suggest putting the action in a bench mounted vise vs putting the barrel in the bench mounted vise. A couple of taps with a deadblow should get it loose.
I had trouble getting them loose till I switched.
Use the barrel and action vise ithe the barrel nut wrench when setting headspace and tightening the nut.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a stubborn one myself. I used a barrel vise with the steel inserts, the wooden blocks kept slipping. With the action down I put Kroil oil on the edge of the nut very day for a few days. Then put it in the vise and it came off fine. Sounds like you have a really hard one. I've known people to heat the nut, cut the nut with a dremel tool even freeze the thing. Hope yours comes off, keep us posted as persistence pays off.

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I had my first one fight me hard too. It
was a Model 16 action, and because it is
stainless, it eventually gave up, and moved.
I did put my action in a bench mounted vise,
with heavy rubber padded jaws. I then took
a BFH and rapped the barrel nut wrench, after
having a pretty good sized rubber mallet do
nothing but bounce off the wrench. One good
pop from the BFH moved the barrel nut, and
the rest was history. The only good news
here is once you get the original off, switching
is a breeze.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A good action wrench (one built for Remington 700's works great). Then, a good wrap with a dead-blow hammer.

I bent an action using an internal action wrench suggested by someone on the Internet. Don't do that..... HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote