New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Hunting Bullet in .311 diameter
 Login/Join

<TimB99>
posted
I'm looking for a 165 grain bullet for deer hunting purposes in .311 diameter. So far, no luck. There are three 150 grain bullets I can find by Sierra, Speer, and Hornady, but no 165.

Suggestions?

This is for a 7.62x54R.

one of us
posted Hide Post
don't know of any 165gr .311's but my 7.62x54r shoots great with .308 bullets.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're out of luck there Tim. 125s, 150s, 174/180s, 215s in N America.
Speer (180 RN), Hornady (174 RN) and Sierra (180 Spitzer) offer either 174s or 180s. Remington bulk (RN) 180s are actually .3105 and may shoot well from your MN.
If you're using iron sights, you won't be handicapped at all with a RN. They all feed from my MNs. None of them is particular.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
<TimB99>
posted
Gentlemen,

Thanks, you confirmed what I thought was true.

Currently I am using the Sellier & Bellot 180 grain "semi-round-nose" factory ammunition for whitetail deer hunting. Frankly, it has performed flawlessly for me, but I am interested in getting into reloading and trying my own recipes.

I will probably use one of the 150 grain bullets I mentioned above for starters. Probably the Hornady, as I think it's a two piece design. I suspect it has better terminal ballistics than the others, which I believe are simply one-piece lead core bullets.

Incidentally, my Mosin Nagant rifles are both equipped with scopes. My Finnish M39 is accurate to about 1-1/2 MOA with the S&B ammo, so I feel comfortable using it for relatively long shots (at least out to point-blank, which is about 250 yards.)

I also am considering trying some 125 grain bullets with a medium muzzle velocity so my daughter can use my number 2 rifle, which is a Mosin Nagant M44 carbine. She's 12 and really doesn't like recoil.

Regarding the .308 bullets, I have heard mixed results with that diameter in a Mosin Nagant. Some folks have good luck, others no luck. It would certainly allow much greater selection for bullets. I may experiment with them at some point but for now, I'll start with the .311's.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

[This message has been edited by TimB99 (edited 12-12-2001).]