New
Find
Notify
Tools

couple reloading questions
 Login/Join

<gunner7mm>
posted
i was just wandering first off how do all the defferent reloading datas come up with completely different numbers some of them have a big veriance of what powders will do.and next i was going bye the data on varget for 223 and it said 27.5gr i new it was sappouse to be compresed but the powder didnt fit in the case do you have to add compress ad compress to get it in there. if ya can straighten me out. thanks jason

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The data varies due to the different brand components or component lots being used along with the the variances in the rifles barrel, chamber, ect. A load that gives X pressure and Y velocity in one rifle most likly will not do the same in another, even of the same make, built on the same day with the same tooling. Change the bullet brand, case / primer type and you have a totally new load. When your working with compressed loads often you will need a drop tube to help settle the powder in the case as you pour it in. Sometimes tapping the case will settle it enough if the charge isn`t too large. You don`t say what bullet weight your loading in your 223 but in mine I stopped at 25.7 gr of Varget under a 55 gr Nosler BT and feel it`s near max in my rifle. The vel is 3100+ fps over my Pact crono and accuracy is very good. The max your posting may be perfectly safe, but I would work up to it to be sure. Never start at the max load. Best accuracy usually comes a bit under max in my experiance and in this small case a little increase in powder can raise pressure signs quickly.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried that load... got the same results. No way of fitting that much powder in the case. Oddly, my military .223 brass holds more powder than my commercial cases. Go figure. I did end up with a nice Varget load that does fill the case, but gives 2750 fps, which is easy on the gun. Makes a nice load, but it is not a speedy combo.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote