Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

80 grs Sierra Match
 Login/Join

posted
I yust got my new rifle Sako Varmint cal 223.
Will a 80grs Sierra Match work good or its too heavy mybee 77 grs is enough.Now Sako is with 1-8" barrel.What will be the best powder and how much.

Dillon

Posts: 15 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon, 1 in 8 should handle the 80 gr OK, but
in my limited experence I got better accuracy out to 700 metres with the 69gr Sierra using about 24grains of Benchmark. I went to 80gr only to get to 800 odd metres, using about
24gr of Varget.
I've been a bit over those figures, but to no real gain.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
23.5 grs of N-135 with WSR primers. This the AMU load. It is extremely accurate.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks for help and info.I will use my Sako for target shooting on distance 70 to 200m,and we have lot of wind in my area!
So i have been told that a 80grs will be better in strong wind than a 69grs bullet.
Iam new with rifle shooting,and greatful for any help if 80grs will be the best for my use.

Dillon

Posts: 15 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 80's will be much better, as their 25% higher BC dictates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon, go with the 80's. The Berger website suggests a 1-8" twist for the 80 grn VLD's:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/catalog.htm

As for the wind, keep in mind that time of flight is as significant a factor in bullet drift as BC, so if you're fighting a lot of wind, load 'em up fast!

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote