New
Find
Notify
Tools

HORNADY A-MAX
 Login/Join

<bearlake>
posted
What do you guys think of the Hornady A-Max bullet? I am looking to try it in a 7mm-08. I would like to try the 162gr A-Max and find a good load for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with the Amax in 22 cal, but the 75 grain amax shore ruins a coyotes day and they shoot extremely well out to 500 yards, furthest I have tested them, out of my 22-250 AI.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos

What sort of twist do you have in your 250 imp ? How fast can you drive that A-Max ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I have also had good success driving the 22 cal 75gr A-max. I can push it 3500-3600.

I am interested to hear how the larger ones perform.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I havn't tried the 7mms yet but have tried the 178 gr 30 cal. They didn't shoot quite as well as 190 Sierras in my rifle but that was just one trial. They still weren't bad shooting groups of around 1 1/2 inches at 200 meters. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger,

I am using a Shilen SS select match barrel 25+ inches long with a 1-9 twist. I load the 75 amax with 42 grains of RL19 and set it off with a Fed 210M primer. Gives me 3330 fps as chronoed 15 feet from the muzzle on a Ohler 35.

I got them up to 3400 but accuracy was not as good.

I normally use 60 grain vmax, but when I travel further west to more open country, not as much mesquite or when I am calling the edges of wheat fields, I switch to the amax. So far have only taken 4 coyotes with the amax but the closest was just a bit over 200 yards and the longest so far was about 375. All were one shot and did lots of damage, not quite as much as a vmax will do, more like a good hollow point.

Hope this helps.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Pecos . I was just curious as to what twist would be needed with those 75 gr A-Max s . It seems like about the best bullet choice if you want to really stretch the range of a big cased .22 ...

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<AR10-.308>
posted
I use the 155grn sst AMAX in my .308 and I am using Win 748. So far I am getting approximatly 1" at 100 but I aint used to my rifle yet I've only had it a few weeks and havent shot much yet. I have and Armalite AR10 w/20" barrel. It seems that these bullets get more accurate as the yardage gets farther too.

------------------
Jesus IS Lord!