Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph
 Login/Join

posted
looking for some info on chronys. this will be my first and i have zero experience with them. I would prefer on with a remote station so i can read it from the bench area and not have to go out and figure out which shot was which.

thank you

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used the basic chrony since they came out and it works as well as any. You don't have to "go" anywhere; you don't put it that far out.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Magnetospeed.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a chrony beta -- with remote.. they are cheap.. and you'll likely shoot it ... and they have the same published spec as a 10X more expensive device

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
get a chrony beta -- with remote.. they are cheap.. and you'll likely shoot it ... and they have the same published spec as a 10X more expensive device

tu2 I had one of the high $$ ones 25 yrs ago. Needed a new one and got the Chrony Beta. I has worked fine for the last 15+ yrs. Numbers matched the high $$ one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the best get an Oehler. They are back in the consumer business and make exactly what you're looking for. Not inexpensive, but the best kind of money well spent.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
If you want the best get an Oehler. They are back in the consumer business and make exactly what you're looking for. Not inexpensive, but the best kind of money well spent.

Very true.

Nothing even comes close!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't understand paying much more for a tool that does nothing that a Chrony won't do. All you need is to measure velocity and the high end ones do not do that any better. I know people like them but I don't understand why. It's just a tool.
What am I getting for my extra few hundred dollars. It is not accuracy, or reliability for sure.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I can't understand paying much more for a tool that does nothing that a Chrony won't do. All you need is to measure velocity and the high end ones do not do that any better. I know people like them but I don't understand why. It's just a tool.
What am I getting for my extra few hundred dollars. It is not accuracy, or reliability for sure.

In our case, it either works, or it does not.

Not one single chronograph we have tried - and we have tried everything available, including some very expensive European.

None work as well and as reliably as the Oehler.

May be we have a special case, as we use them in an indoor tunnel.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is the Oehler, by Ken Oehler, who makes them in Austin, Texas; and everything else.

Same logic as "why spend ten times as much for a Searcy DR when you can buy a Baikal for under a grand?".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to get in on the side of the Chrony. I've had one since they were first put on the market. Same one. I don't know where this "if you ain't shot it, you're going to" rational came from but it's more of a comment on the shooter's ineptness than anything else. When I first got it, I proofed it against a couple of the high dollar chronographs and it gave the the same readings as them.
I'd guess that it kinda amounts to how big your pocketbook is. A fellow just putting his kit together might look at the difference between a Chrony and a Oehler as quite a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere. That difference might not seem so much to a well established reloader.
And too, as Rich referenced there is the "mine cost more than yours, neener, neener, neener" factor.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several YouTube videos comparing the Oehler 35p to various Chrony models and all show pretty much the same thing. The Oehler is more consistent (fewer strange obviously wrong readings) and more reliable (no "missed" shots). Some of these videos actually claim the opposite in the description - but when you watch the video the truth comes out.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest about since I haven't a broad base of data. Without relying on youtube or whatever, I can say that MY Chrony (singular) has performed for 40+ years without any of the problems that I read about in the internet. I'm gonna guess that in those 40 years, you could count the "dropped shots" on maybe both hands. And, actually, what is the big deal? You don't have to do anything except send another round down range.
You can get a Chrony for around $100. A Oehler cost several times that. Is the Oehler several times better than the Chrony?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I too fall on the side of the Chrony and purchased one of the first that came into NZ which was 35+ years ago and if I recall correctly cost around $130 of our money back then.

Other chronographs were at luxury prices hence not common in our shooting scene back then.

I and other friends have put hundreds of rifle, pistol and shotgun rounds through the little F1 Chrony without a hitch. Mine didn't come with diffusers but I made some from thin white plastic and always use them without exception on sunny or dull days.

I don't recall ever having missed shots other than when I forgot to read and note down the reading before sending the next shot down range. The model that stores the data would be handy but then again I subscribe to the KISS principle.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with PACT chronys. I've had Oehler, but they are harder to set up.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pact shooting chrony, and oehler all state EXACTLY the same margin of error...

i just don't care about a missed shot or 10 ... put in new batteries, use the sky screens, and have the remote to reset if you miss shooting over the sensors... "click" .. shoot again .. that's it...

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are several YouTube videos comparing the Oehler 35p to various Chrony models and all show pretty much the same thing. The Oehler is more consistent (fewer strange obviously wrong readings) and more reliable (no "missed" shots).

Confused I had an early Oehler when we bought it I believe they were close to the only game in town. My partner in ownership died and his wife sold it out from under me. I bought a beta Chrony and have used it for YEARS and who knows how many shots.

Did I run is tests between the 2 nope. But, from a results standpoint. Old Oehler results match the new Chrony. I would have an occasional miss both old and knew.

I never tried either in a tunnel. I never tried either without the diffuser.

Having used both if I shoot my Chrony tomorrow I'd simply order another.

I think everyone should buy what makes them feel comfortable. But, don't run from the Chrony because of the price.

For what I use them for I can care less if the average for 5 shots is 3015 or 3005.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All I know is that I have owned two Chronys since they first came out. My friend exploded the first one with a 500 Linebaugh and he bought me a new one 15 years ago. It provides velocities. Period. Which is what I am looking for; nothing else. If, for some reason, it does not register a shot (which it does every 100 shots or so but I figured that was because of bright sun; I don't use the diffusers), I just shoot again. If someone asks me which chronograph he should buy, I will tell him to get a chrony. No need to spend more unless you indoors, and that is a special case. Now, if you just like to spend money, and some do like to have the most expensive things (remember these are just tools, not custom double rifles, which is another thing entirely), then by all means, go for it. I can't do that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is certainly a difference in the budget models (Chrony brand) and an Oehler. Which you choose depends on (1) the volume of load work-up you do, (2) the degree of precision your require, (3) your tolerance for non-registering or mis-registering shots, and (4) how much money you are willing or able to spend.

If your needs are fairly casual, as in you just want to know the approximate velocity (within 20 fps or so) of a given load, then the budget model will do fairly well. You'll waste a bit of ammunition due to non-registering shots, which means that you may have to load more of a given sample than you otherwise might in order to get a dependable read on its performance. You'll also get a slightly wider variation from actual velocity due to the budget unit's close screen spacing and less accurate screen triggering. But the "clock" and counter are exactly the same in budget or premium models, so that part will act the same according to the signal inputs, which is the big variable in chronographs.

The Oehler, if a longer (four-foot) screen spacing is used, will by definition provide higher "resolution" (more accuracy), and its high-quality detector screens will miss fewer extra-shiney bullets, will perform in poorer light, and will also provide a more consistent signal to the clock/counter. This adds up to a bit better accuracy and a few less shots necessary to provide an accurate representation of both the velocity and consistency of a given load.

Bottom line: For casual use for hunting or varminting rifles for the guy who loads for a half-dozen cartridges or less, the budget unit is probably the best buy. If you load for lots of cartridges, experiment with lots of different powders and bullets, and feel the need of very precise readings, then the Oehler is probably worth the extra money to you.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned the Chrony, Pact PC2, CED Millenium and the Magnetospeed.

I started getting readings varying by 100fps with my PACT so I called em. They told me they were surprised I could get accurate readings at all since I am in Alaska outside of Fairbanks. He said the angle of the sun here isn't conducive to getting good readings.

I ran into a guy at our local range with a Magnetospeed. He had put about 600 rounds through his and highly recommended it. I bought one and have been using it ever since.

How accurate it is I cannot say but I haven't experienced any wide variations in velocity like I had before. The drawback to it is you have to strap it to your gun barrel.

This means your gun won't shoot to the same point of impact and you won't be able to use it on autoloading pistols as the slide moves.

The new kid on the block is Labradar which is yet to be sold and tested but it sounds promising. I may buy one once someone else spends the money to test its accuracy.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingI've owned 3 different Model Chronies. For one reason or another they suck. I bought my Oehler maybe 10 years ago and have had NOOOOO complaint. horse roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Chrony Beta with remote

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Chrony Beta with remote
tu2 +1

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:

The new kid on the block is Labradar which is yet to be sold and tested but it sounds promising. I may buy one once someone else spends the money to test its accuracy.

I am on the buyers list for the LabRadar !!

476AR,

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I will be very interested in hearing what you say about after you get it.

They have been promised for quite sometime - I don't like to get on any waiting list for a product in development.

I will wait and see when it is in production.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I will -- I am always doubtful of new products -- but I think that being on the list is a good idea -- besides, I've done more than a few product development projects...

i wonder if it works with golf balls!

476AR,