New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM Barrel Life
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone care to guess at the 300 WSM barrel life. I am having one built and I'm guessing somewhere around 2500 rounds. What do you other guys think? Mercy, waiting on a barrrel is tough, when you have everything else in hand to build the rifle with..Thanking everyone for their opinion in advance.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
Since no one posted to your question. I would assume that the life would be the same as the 300winchester or slightly better because of less fuel to the fire. I would not think that it would be much. I think you could get more than the 2500 number. The 300 Winchester is not that bad on barrels. I would say 3000 or more

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
So much depends on what you shoot in it, how rapidly, what loads, etc. Reasonable loads should get you near 4000 rounds before you notice any measurable drop in accuracy. I'd say it would be about the same as a 338 Win Mag, and slightly better than the 300 Win if you stay with factory loads, or lighter, and don't heat the barrel to where you can't touch it between shots.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Howell had posted on this topic a few times. Apparently the biggest determinant in barrel wear comes from the pressures that you run the cartridge at, rather than the velocity and case capacity. If you keep the barrel cool and don't it run to the highest possible pressures the rifle will take, I don't think you will shoot it out for many, many years.

Turok

------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote