THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Lead hard cast in .44 and .45: options besides Cast Performance?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead hard cast in .44 and .45: options besides Cast Performance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted
Hello All,

I have been looking at what options are available out there in a wide meplat hard cast bullet in .44 and .45 caliber for handguns. Aside from the offerings from Cast Performance, are there others you could suggest?

From what research I have done on the internet, it sounds like Cast Performance have performed very well however I would like to give a few other bullets a try in my revolvers when working up loads. Anyone here have any on-game experience with Cast Performance or the others?

Thank you,

John

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Beartooth bullets

They have a lot of cast bullets. I have only shot the .620 1040 grainers but they look like great bullets.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear tooth bullets
Montana Bullet Works
Lead head billets
All (3) have worked for me

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Leadhead bullets located in St. Johns, KS. They have a good selection of bullets and they are prompt to get them to their customers.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cast a 315 gr wheel weight hard bullet out of a lee mold cast check it.

Depending on the pistol 1180 to 1320 FPS kills and penetrates very well.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Jennings of Montana Bullet Works had spinal fusion surgery and is unable to operate the business, which is now for sale.

I have no idea what if any inventory he is carrying from which he might fill orders.

MBW website

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave is selling his inventory with the business. Beartooth makes equal stuff to anyone though priced a bit higher than Dave's goods. I have shot a far bit of these folks bullets and they are very good quality and fairly priced. The down side is that you cannot select diameter or hardness.

http://www.westernbullet.com/castbullets.html

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that you can get a wide variety of bullets from Rim Rock Bullets. They have what they call "Premium Hard Cast" as well as gas-checked bullets. They have some cheaper ones, too. The main thing is that they have some of the LBT or LBT-type designs. I don't know how much custom sizing they do.

Rim Rock Bullets

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Thanks all- this is a great place to start.

-John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard cast bullets have a valuable place in dealing with big animals especially those who fight back. My S&W 329 carries 310 gr hardcasts and a max load of H110. It hurts your hand but I've always felt is a Griz was trying to join me on my horse, recoil would not be a big issue.

One caution about hardcasts, especially in older guns, is to be sure of your cylinder and throat diameter. It's easy to wreck a gun with fat hard bullets and hot loads.

When I shoot my 329 for fun (it still kicks a bit) I shoot 200 gr 44-40 bullets dropped from a Lee mold, tumble lubed with 8 gr of Trailboss.
Probably comes close to 44-40 loads back in BP days. Costs less/round than a 22 LR in today's nutso world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marshall Stanton owns/runs Beartooth Bullets. He has a huge amount of info on his website . I ordered bullets from him , bought a booklet from him and his bore lapping kit. Great source for cast bullets and info. Nice to talk to on the phone .
Mr. Jennings at MBW made great bullets, but you had to know exactly what you wanted.
The man at Leadhesds was also friendly and informative and even had load info.
I would start w/ Beartooth, especially if you want info on cast bullets, load info or recommendations. If it concerns cast bullets , he does know the answers.
If you know exactly what you want, see if Leadhesds makes it. If so, you will get them quickly .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote