New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advantages to protected point partitions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anybody knows if there are any advantages to a Protect point partition by Nosler. I have found a good deal on them. The look to be a stronger bullet, but I have no experience with them. What are the designed for?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are designed so the lead points don't get distorted like on the standard partition.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are no different in physical design than a Speer Grand Slam or a Swift A Frame but as in all bullets the construction is what is key. I suspect you're only question is in relation to flight more than, is it a partition cause it is, for hunting purposes and at nominal ranges it is a very good bullet and will do quite well. If long range shooting is you're choice I would opt for the spitzer or some kind of ballistic tip.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These bullets would be used for hunting at ranges up to 300 yards, but more often less than 250 yards.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/353108273

Those seconds are attractive at that price, huh?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I've bought alot of 2nds in 30 cal, 180 grn protected point partitions from Nosler. Once when I was down there in the early 90's their ballistician told me that their tests with that bullet in 300 Win Mag, showed it to be more accurate than the spitzer in same bullet weight.
I use them without reservation.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! The PP Partitions are factory 2nds, but I see nothing wrong with that. At less than $10 for 50 I plan on buying few bags.

The PP will be used in my 300 WSM so I don't see a disadvantage to the shorter bullet because those necks are pretty short themselves.

posted Hide Post
When reading the Nosler manual under .300 Win. Mag. Nosler claims they specifically built the Protect Point for the .300 Win. Mag.

Adams

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
what do they look like?? what is the PP made out of?? I couldn't find a pic on the website

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Cummins Cowboy - They look like a partition with a flat point. I don't mean to imply that they can be used in a tube magazine levergun, they cannot! They differ from a standard partition spitzer in three ways.

1) They have a cannelure because they are mfg. for Federal and they crimp to a cannelure in all their factory ammo.

2) The apeture or opening at the nose of the jacket material is approx. the same as a spitzer, but the lead protrudes <1/16" and is flattened instead of pointed.

3) Because there is more lead retained inside the jacket, the ogive is slightly different than a partition spitzer.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
This bullet is on the Nosler web site. Go to Partion and then click on the square at the bottom of the page that says "Bullet Chart" and there you will see a picture of every Partition. There is NO cannelure on the Protected point, but there is on the 170 grain bullet for the 30-30. I have been trying to get an ansewer about accuracuy on this bullet and I think brianbo just ansewered that for me. Thank you ever so much.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that this bullet was developed specifically for the .300 Winchester magnum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two boxes of 180 grn .308 Protected Point Partions from Nosler. They were factory seconds, and they do have cannelures. Factory firsts I've bought in the black box did not have them.

Even though they have a lot lower BC I find them to be more accurate because (I guess) I can stay withing the max. COL for my 30-06 and still seat them to where they are closer to the lands.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
why don't they make them with a poly tip on them like the ballistic tip, if nothing else it would look cool

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this bullet may be an exception, but in general aren't protectec points a little tougher in the expansion department (ie: swift A-frame, northforks, etc) I was under the impression that PP's controlled (slowed) expansion some. Something I would find appealing on the nosler partition sincd its front half is built like a ballistic tip (very thin jacket for rapid expansion)

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote