THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Load suggestions & assistance for .307 Winchester

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load suggestions & assistance for .307 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been asked by a friend to load some .307 Winchesters for his Winchester lever rifle. He has supplied me with 100 new WW-Super brass and Barnes "X" 150 gr. 30/30 Flat Nose bullets.

The shell holder isn't an issue and I'll use .308 Winchester dies, a .308 Win. Lee Trimmer Gauge & a .308 Win. Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Only powder I've got available that is suitable from Quick Load and other sources is H-4895.

Any expereince, watch-outs & helpful suggestions from others who have loaded this cartridge?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If it was my gun,, I would START with 39.5 grs. of 4895 and the bullets you have, seated to within .010" of the lands, IF the resulting OAL would work through the mag tube and action. Then, if things worked all right on test firing, I'd work my way up in half-grain increments to no more than 40.5 grs of the same powder.

The rifle is likely safe with even slightly hotter loads, but who knows without working their way up? I wouldn't go any hotter than the 40.5 grain load even if I could, just because of the action-locking design, and the fact that I wouldn't want to shoot it loose over the ensuing years.

It is, after all, a rare & valuable gun and going to become a heck of a lot more valuable.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd start with the bullet loaded to Max OAL
and see how far the ogive is off the lands.

Barnes recommends starting at 0.050"

if you are thinking of buying any propellant might I recommend WW748?

IMR-3031 might work and H335 is another possibility
as is RL15.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Albert, Allan,
Barnes bullets don't even START shooting until .05 off, and you'll see best accuracy on .065-.080 ...

back off 2% from published 307 loads and work up.

I believe aliant and hodgedon have loads listed

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38544 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Albert, Allan,
Barnes bullets don't even START shooting until .05 off, and you'll see best accuracy on .065-.080 ...

jeffe

jeffe- I pretty much have found the same as you with Barnes X-bullets, and generally seat them well away from the lands.. Guess I mis-read his original post. I thought he had said he was given Hornady bullets. Don't know why I got that from it, but I did, therefore the recommendation of about .010 off....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

For your remarks on the cartridge & bullet, all helpful.

Cases being prepped now and I'll start with the suggested H4895 load.

Allan, thanks for your powder suggestions, got the same from Pet Loads & Mettallic Cartridge Reloading but figured since I'm doing a buddy a fovor I'll go with the powder I've got on hand.

I'll do my level best to ensure his Winchester lever rifle digests everything fine.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote