New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Boss Field Test
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As stated in another thread we tried Trail Boss in 223,243,and 270.All loaded with LeeLoaders on the kitchen table,cross weighed on two different scales multiple times for accuracy from dippers.With a little bit of practice dipping is very accurate IMO.

I`m fond of LeeLoaders and am contrary to the notion that they are entry level tools.In the hands of an experienced reloader they produce some really fine ammo.The brass was already fireformed to each respective rifle.

Bullets used were 50gr VMax for the 223,100gr Speer SP for the 243,and 130gr Nosler BT for the 270.

Temp was mid 30`s with a 5-10mph left to right wind.However the wind had very little effect at the modest ranges of 5,10,and 25yds.

Rifles used were Ruger#1 243Win,Savage 270,and Ruger 223.

The report of the rifles were darn near like a 22LR and it was soon that earplugs were removed.The recoil was very minimal.

All rifles ,of course, shot low at 5yds.At 10yds were the same.At 25yds is where the 270 and the 243 shot higher,but the 223 remained virtually unchanged?????Further tests are needed at farther ranges.

I have a mildot scope on the 243 which made it easier to adjust fire,but still made three mistakes correcting fire.It is quite possible that I may have a 50 zero with TrailBoss and 100yd zero with full power loads.Again..further testing is required.

We also tried Ramshot Magnum in the 270 and Gordon shot a wonderful 3 shot group at 100 yds with all three touching.

The 243 results.Top Left 5yds,top right 10yds,bottom left 25yds,bottom right 25yds adjusted fire.

The 270 same as above.

And the 223.Bottom left 5yd,top left 10yd,bottom right 25yd,top right adjusted fire.The 223 didnt change much at those ranges.

A very fun day indeed !!

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hmmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't see the pictures. The photobucket link works, but only one pic there at a table.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technical difficulties and gotta read on posting pics.I`ll get em.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another try
[/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK....Loading at the table.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,this is the 243...top left 5 yds,top right 10 yds,bottom right 25yds where fire was corrected,and bottom right last group.

Now the 270 same as above in firing order by another shooter.

And finally Gordo`s 223.Bottom left,top left,bottom right,top right in firing order.Ther was little change in it.

I was pretty impressed with this powder`s performance.Pretty clean burning with just a little residue at the crown of each rifle in a sunburst array.

Later we shot a 22mag pistol that was way louder than any of the rifles.

LOL..I ran out of mil dots at 5 yds because it shot so low and used the the top of the post in the reticle for both 5 + 10 yds.At 25yds I had to use the 3rd dot down from the crosshairs.It will be interesting to follow the path of the bullet downrange in further testing.

Regards,
Mick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn...on the 243 and 270 it was top left,top right,bottom left,bottom right.Having a bad computer skill day.