New
Find
Notify
Tools

One powder for 2 cal.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine would like to set store with his reloading needs for the near future. I can get him brass,primers,bullets and dies.

The powder I believe is good for both but have no experience is IMR4350-this is according to the Nosler manual.

I will get him the 180 PP from the Pro shop and if he chooses 120 Part. down the road.

Believe he has a .308 caliber as well, this powder should suffice as well.

One powder to do all. Advice please.

thanks,

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What 2 calibers exactly are we talikin' about?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, kind of missing some info here.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing Boy am I bad!

Would be the .300 win mag and .25-06 along with his loaned out .308 which he has not seen in some time.

my apologize

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it was the perfect powder for any of the three, but it will work if he just has to have one powder.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give RL-22 and IMR-7828 SSC a look. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I COULD proposition him into a 2 powder choice but we most know that the reloading process and development would be the proper way to go about the correct selection per rifle. He is just seeing some great and subtle changes in our economy and all- a wise man nonethless, setting store for his future hunts.

Kind of tough here where we live to just go down to the one and only store and buy what ever they have at the ever changing prices for the "core-lokt" bullet.

I figure the 180 grn for the .30 calibers as the "do-all" and 120 grn. for the 25 caliber-it his money and my skills at persuasion may be not all that good with so many good bullets and fine powders for different hunting circumstances etc....

I did ingest into our conversations that a 200 grn. pill for his 300 win mag down the road would be a good choice or not. I did tell him about the TSX, the bonded and of course the great costs of them.

appreciate the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm searching and thanks thus far. Sticking to the calibers and the Partitions, the .308 would probably require abit faster powder. Perhaps H4350 would be the compreble choice for all 3 calibers.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would go slower like a RL22 or 4831 but if you really feel you want a powder that would work for all three 4350 or RL15. You might leave velocity on the table in the two larger cases with faster powder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The best choice for a 300 WM and 25.06 is H1000. You can't go wrong.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesAny of the 4350s will do the job just fine. shocker If he has a reasonably high I.Q. he might just go out and buy a bunch of DP 85. shocker roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hec, I was thinking the same thing when I started reloading that I would keep it down to 1 or 2 powder choices and tried to go down that road myself.
Reality is that that road led me right back to the gun store standing in front of the reloader counter with cash in hand.

Cool

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vinny I personally have many choices for the rifles I have and in the long run ended up with using RL15 and RL22 the most....that I say is the most often. IMR 4350, RL19 N560 and many others I too have. There are many other choices that fill the niche for a variety of bullet weights in one specific caliber.

Just attempting to not get this guy started in something he is not interested in...or at least not yet.Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go to the reloading pages of the powder makers and see how many times X, Y and Z powder pop up for whatever caliber you want to load. If one is mentioned many more times than another, that's the one you want. I like to go to Steve's Reloading Pages to get my first step on a load, but that's just me...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Now that we are talking a 2 powder possibility, I would go with IMR7828 for the 300win & 25 and varget for the 308.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, that is what it comes down to, that .308 is the stickler.

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 4350. Might not be best for all three but it would do good work in all three.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Another vote for 4350. Might not be best for all three but it would do good work in all three.

Too fast for optimum perf. in both calibers, especially when using heavier bullets. I would vote H4831sc as the fastest & RL22 or IMR7828. I love 7828 in my 280. In 308, even H4350 is alittle too slow so I would opt for 2 powders: 308 & 25-06/300wm. For the 308, anything in the RL15/IMR4064 class is perfect but too fast for best performance in magnums & the 25-06 is really beltless magnum.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Here you seem to be asking whether IMR 4350 would serve adequately in two different cartridges?/ To answer this correctly, we'd need to know WHICH TWO CARTRIDGES, eh?? coffee

OK: IMR 4350 is on the fast side for the .300 Win. Mag., but can be used. It is also on the fast side for the .25/'06. I would use either Norma MRP or RE 22 for those two, especially with the heavier bullets in both cartridges. For the .308, IMR 4350 is on the slow side-use H380!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
difficult to get away from RL22, here I began to think H4831 for the 25-06 and the 300wm and 4064 for the .308

I do most of my reloading per rifle with a certain powder that will give that rifle the best accuracies with a particular bullet weight. I at first thought, believe it or not the request on me would be rather simple. I debated with my friend the weight of each bullet per caliber and figured 120 for the 25 caliber, 180 and 200's for the 300wm and 180grn. for the .308win.

The choice I see is RL22, H4831 and 4064 but Varget is standing out.

bunch of good responses, great help.

regards,

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
difficult to get away from RL22, here I began to think H4831 for the 25-06 and the 300wm and 4064 for the .308

I do most of my reloading per rifle with a certain powder that will give that rifle the best accuracies with a particular bullet weight. I at first thought, believe it or not the request on me would be rather simple. I debated with my friend the weight of each bullet per caliber and figured 120 for the 25 caliber, 180 and 200's for the 300wm and 180grn. for the .308win.

The choice I see is RL22, H4831 and 4064 but Varget is standing out.

bunch of good responses, great help.

regards,

I have found RE 22 to be a very good powder for the rounds that need slow powders. Old, original military surplus H4831 was also very good-I ddon't know about the currently made version. There's nothing wrong with Norma MRP either, but it is very close to RE22. I have had great results with regular granual IMR 7828 too, and think that the SSC version of this powder might be very good in rounds where the regular size stuff is too big to get enough into the case.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
makes good sense these SSC versions,

regards,