New
Find
Notify
Tools

casting lead
 Login/Join

<ranb>
posted
I was at a salvage yard this week and they offered pure lead wire or ingots for 35 cents per pound and wheel weights for 25 cents per pound. Should I be looking elsewhere for lead? What is a good source for tin and antimony? I have not tried any tire shops yet. Thanks.

Ranb

<jagtip>
posted
Try the tire shops.In 1970,one "gave" me a whole oil drum full of wheel weights.That was then,this is now.A lot of them are selling to salvage yards and some are supplying to another caster who got there first but you've got nothing to lose.You just might get lucky.

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fair price. Particularly on the pure lead. Depending upon how precise you awnt to be on your final composition. McMaster Carr has high Antimony hard lead compounds that you should be able to combine with the pure lead to end up with the composition you want. If you are fairly certain of the wheel weight composition or are less critical of the exact composition then $0.25 doesn't sound like too much. But I haven't researched the current bargain prices. I've got probably 60 Lbs of wheel weight and another 50 lb of Babbit sitting out in the shop. But most of that I got back when it could be had for the asking and carrying off.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote