Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems with 85gr partition and 33gr imr 4895
 Login/Join

posted
I went to the range today and had a huge problem with this combination. I had five rounds loaded and shot the first three with no problem. It was actually shooting very accurate and I thought that I might have found a good load. The next shot was not so good. I blew the primer out of the case and I was unable to get the bolt open. I had to take the gun to the onsite gunsmith to get it fixed. I thought that maybe the case had split and that was why I was having such a hard time getting the bolt open. He had to take the gun apart to get the case out and it looked fine other than the primer blowing out of it. He had to fix the ejector and put the rifle back together. My biggest question is what the hell happened. This is the min load for this bullet in the Nosler book and I am confused more now than ever. I am new to reloading and this is the first problem that I have ever had. Any and all input is welcomed!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Briant,
would help all of us here if you let us know a few things.
1. caliber and rifle/action used
2. any history on the rifle, new? factory model etc?
3. was the OAL of the loaded cartridge corrct per the loading manual?
4. what laoding manual? latest or earlier?

stay tuned

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a Tikka t3 chambered in 243 win. I bought the rifle used about 6 months ago and have not had any problems with it. The person that I bought it from had similar problems when loading 95gr sst's but he was very close to the lands with a hot load. The OAL of the cartridge was 2.650. The Nosler book that I am using is the sixth edition, and I am also using the complete reloading manual for 243. The load info out of that manual is out of the fourth edition of the Nosler manual. Both have the same load listed. I do not know how far off the lands I am because I have been unable to find this out by myself. I have tried with a spent case and a new bullet but I just cant seem to get it to work. The person that I got it from has offered to give me the info but I just feel better finding out myself, then I know that it is the right measurement. Maybe I should get the specs from him.

posted Hide Post
So I guess that I am the only one that has had this problem? Someone that I work with says that I probably double charged the cartridge. I always look into the cases afterwards with a flashlight and I think that I would have caught it if that was what happened. I can't say for certain that I didn't do that though. I also think that the powder would have come over the top of the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you had a problem.At least your gun didn't go kaboom and you still have all your eyes and digits.

I use IMR 3031 and 85gr bullets using the Nosler data and haven't had a problem.

I would say two things

1. get a smith to check the headspace on the rifle
2. IMR 4895 is on the limit of relative burn rate quickness for a 243 and 85gr bullets. It's not a powder/bullet combination I would reccomend to a beginner loader. The effect of relatively minor mistakes such as substituting primers or changing COLs or over charging will be much greater.

I would put the 4895 to one side and move to a more time honoured one such as H4350 which will be a little more forgiving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by briant_az:
...Someone that I work with says that I probably double charged the cartridge. ...
Hey Briant, I have an older Number 3 Nosler Manual which shows the same 33.0gr Load of IMR-3031 with the 85gr Partition. Though your friend at work made a good guess, the Manual indicates that Load has 61% Load Density. That means if you had Double Charged it, all of the second load of Powder would not have fit inside the Case. So, the good news is you did nothing wrong there. Don't beat yourself for something you did not do.

The chance of a Powder or Bullet Manufacturing Company releasing Loads that could be Double Charged in a "Rifle" case are slim to none. They are considerably smarter than a lot of Rookies and the Computer Experts(basically the same group) give them credit for.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'd suspect it might have something to do with what Dr. Oehler mentioned in this thread. There he was talking about a 50% increase in Pressure simply due to the Powder Position. Dr. Oehler was talking about a handgun cartridge, but the same thing can happen in Rifle Cartridges as well.

Bottom line is, I suspect "you" did nothing wrong - according to the Manual. However, I'd encourage you to go to a much Slower powder which will fill substantially more of the Case. You will find plenty of options in either your Nosler Manual or a Hodgdon Manual.

I've used the 85gr Partition for at least one box of Kills and used a much Slower Powder. At the moment, I do not remember if it was H4350 or H4831. It could have been H450, but it is no longer in production.

So, get a Slower Powder and forget about trying to use the most Anemic Loads shown in a Manual.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Your loading of 85gr partition and 33gr imr 4895 is OK. This powder works well with reduced loadings or starting loads.You may have put to much powder in, do you have a scale? Trim your brass to the correct length after full length resizing. If brass gets to long, the bullet gets crimped into the chamber. Pressure goes way up, just like what you describe. H4350 or IMR4350 are better powders for near maximum or maximum loads, no reduced loads with 4350's.. Each has there own loading data. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. H4895 & IMR4895 NOT THE SAME. Reduced load data here. Reduced H4895 loads PDF file

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
Trim your brass to the correct length after full length resizing. If brass gets to long, the bullet gets crimped into the chamber. Pressure goes way up, just like what you describe. H4350 or IMR4350 are better powders. Each has there own loading data. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

First thought of mine as well. Maybe your brass is too long.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Finished edit of above info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
with 4350's.. Each has there own loading data. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. H4895 & IMR4895 NOT THE SAME. Reduced load data here

243 winxb, not sure whet you are trying to say here. Maybe you can clarify for the guy

Are you saying imr4895 is not the same as H4895 ?

Or (imr & H 4895) are not the same as 4350? which is obvious

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
quote:
with 4350's.. Each has there own loading data. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. H4895 & IMR4895 NOT THE SAME. Reduced load data here

243 winxb, not sure whet you are trying to say here. Maybe you can clarify for the guy

Are you saying imr4895 is not the same as H4895 ?

Or (imr & H 4895) are not the same as 4350? which is obvious

imr 4895 and h4895 are not the same . they are similar but not the same

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
4 different powders. Not one is alike. IMR 4895 is made in Canada, H4895 in Australia. The H4895 for the USA has been made darker looking compare to what is sold to other countries. The business of making and selling gunpowder is confusing to most reloaders. Only two companies, Alliant and St. Marks Powder actually manufacture smokeless propellents in the United States. Since DuPont got out of the powder business decades ago, IMR powders have been made in Canada by Expro Tech and simply distributed by IMR Powder Co. Hodgdon's powders with the same numbers are made in Australia by Australian Defense Industries (ADI). AR2206H was released into the North American market in 1999, and is distributed by the Hodgdon Powder Co. under the brand name H4895. Article Here is another. ADI or Hodgdon Fixed link, i hope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://findarticles.com/p/arti...03/?tag=content;col1

Thanks for the link. I just started useing IMR 4895 for a new cartrige addition. H4895 faster than IMR 4895 thumb

posted Hide Post
I trimmed all the brass after sizing. I am new to reloading so I have tried to follow the book as much as possibly. I think I might just have to take the gun to a gunsmith now and have the headspace checked. I am almost afraid to reload for the gun now because I don't want to hurt it. What do you guys think? If the gunsmith says the gun is fine is it worth loading for the gun again? What if this happens again, could it be really bad for the gun next time?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you useing all the same brand of brass or mixed? A ok load in ww brass could be a hot load in Rem brass for example

posted Hide Post
No all the brass that I am using is federal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take on it is you need to check your scale.

sounds like it is not set correctly.

beam scales especially have to watched carefully when you set them.

you could have the marker between the 30 and 40 line, instead of down in the 30 grain indent.

I have done this several times.. but using Lee powder dippers, I noticed that it took more powder than usual, so I rechecked my scale.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
The person that I bought it from had similar problems when loading 95gr sst's
Tell your whole story to the gun smith. Have him check headspace, your loaded ammo. Have him fire some factory ammo in your guns, see if fired cases measure and look normal to him. Go by what he tells you. Contact the factory with your guns serial number/ info, see if there are any recalls.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Dated May 2005 > About 3,000 rifles sold under the Sako and Tikka labels have been recalled following catastrophic failures, but a small number of guns sold in the American market remain in the hands of owners who apparently have not heard about the recall. A weakness in the stainless steel used to manufacture rifles last year has led to ruptured barrels.

Contact the Sako/Tikka Recall Center immediately at (800) 503-8869 with your rifle's serial number to find out if your firearm is affected.--Courtesy NSSF http://findarticles.com/p/arti...s_5_51/ai_n13469660/ The phone number i would guess is old, not in service, maybe an email would work?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I will contact tikka and see if I have one of these guns. If not I will make sure to tell the gunsmith the whole story about the gun. I appreciate everyones help!
Brian