Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X vs XLC
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
I tried the Barnes X in a 300 Win Mag and gave up as it was not accurate and fouled the barrel something fierce.

Wondering about the XLC in a 338 WM?

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 913 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey hm 1996

Do yourself a favor and try the Barnes Triple Shocks instead. I too tried the plain X and the XLC before the TSX's and did not get good results. The blue stuff on the XLC will scrape off when seating the bullet and gum up your die. What a mess.

The TSX's are the most accurate bullet in every one of the 17 guns I load for. Same terminal performance as the X. JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hm 1996, loaded up some XLC in my 300winnie and 3 shots touching each other at a 100yds-worked wonderfully in my Rem 700. The TSX on the other hand I have not tried but understand how it is built will eliminate quite abit of the fouling. woods is correct about how the "coating" builds up not only in the die but the initial area of contact in your barrel. I also use the XLC in my .375RUM with the same excellent performance in accuracy as well not to make mention the field performance that the terminal results is astounding!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the comments above. Try the TSX and you'll be a convert.

I too tried the older Barnes Models and their accuracy left me disappointed. Then the TSX arived. They ARE the bullet of choice for me in my .270 and .300 RUM with both shooting about 1/2 MOA.

Their performance on game is equally astounding!

Barrel fouling is acceptable and much better than older Barnes designs. - EB

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
how far you seating these from the groves?

at least .065"

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have tried the old x in .257 & .338 accuracy was ok but not stellar. They worked fine on game.

The newer XLC is very accurate in my 7mm RM and when I discovered this I bought several boxes. In my .25-06 the XLC seems to be about average in accuracy.

I've yet to try the TSX's. I have enough Barnes bullets laying around that it's hard to find a reason. They all work on game, as long as they land in the right place. If they won't shoot straight enough to have confidence then scrap 'em! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the TSX's, they seem to shoot consistently well for me in a variety of rifles and calibers.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys!

Reason I asked is that Midway has the Federal Prem. 338 WM w/225gr XLC's on sale for $23.99/box; thought I might try a box just for kicks.

Wondered about the different POI while fouling bbl w/ the XLC's as sometimes experienced w/molly. I have some rifles that will print same POI w/molly as uncoated, others a bit fussy. Sounds as if the TSX's might be a better choice from the feedback so far.

As for the X's in the 300 WM, have to admit that is a problem child. It is a 1.5 to 1.75 moa rifle, no matter what you feed it.

Finally pulled out the 338 WM and it shoots 210 and 225 gr. NP's moa. and under (5 shot 100 yd groups). Plan to use it this deer season w/210 gr. NP's @ 3000 fps. So far have had awesome results on coyotes, hogs & nilgai with the 210's.

Jeffe, I was seating .107" off rifling, as my rifle has long throat and shorter magazine. In all fairness, the accuracy was the pits on the first trip to the range and it took several days to clean out the copper, so I didn't really give them a fair trial.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 913 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Allen Days thread on the Fed Premium in 338. Sounds like a great comobo for the 338. I think it is on the Big Game forum.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer to scraping coating of the TLC bullets is to put a slight bell on the case mouth,like seating lead bullets. then set the seating die to remove the bell. The bell can be very slight. I have pulled bullers seated this way and they look like the just came out of the box.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that Barnes, and many retailers, are unloading the X and XLC's in favor of the TSX.
The XLC will take a bit more powder to get same velocity as X. And X and TSX should be worked up and shot from a barrel that has all previous deposits of lead and gliding metal removed. They seem to faul worse when shot from a barrel with deposits.
I'm predicting that X and XLC choices and availability is going to diminish as the TSX gets recognized for what it can do.
Save yourself a lot of trouble and go straight to the TSX. Accurate, less fauling but the same great terminal performance.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote