New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder funnel static
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a powder funnel I have used for years, which just recently seems to have picked up some static charge, as the kernels of powder now seem to "stick" to the sides. What causes this, and is there an easy fix?

I have tried cleaning the funnel with a cloth (several kinds) with no success. The funnel is of the clear plastic variety, not the green RCBS type. I used mostly IMR powders in this funnel, like 4350, 4064, and 4831. The funnel is nearly useless with the amount of static charge present. Ideas?

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
It happens sometimes, especially if the air is really dry. The best and easiest way to get rid of the static is to wash out the funnel with a mild soapy water solution, then dry it, then use a clothes dryer sheet to wipe it down completely inside and out.

Never seen that not work.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use a dryer sheet,it works every time.
Rub it at the mouth of the powder bottle as well.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to Aluminum funnels due to the static electricty holding powder to the plastic funnels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the dryer sheets. I've used them on my funnels and my Lee plastic powder throw.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
+1 to Slowpoke's advice.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dryer sheets

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first powder funnel,RCBS has a hint: wash the funnel with regular dish detergent, and let it air dry. Problem solved. The dryer sheet thing looks like it will work, less the washing, or together with, too.

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote