Find
Notify
Tools

Brass, bullets and dies but no rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I've been found out. Big Grin The wife was downstairs yesterday helping put away my Graf purchases. She started asking questions about the various stacks of bullets, brass etc.

She got to the 6.5 bullets and 264mag brass and said she didn't remember a 264 in the safe. I smiled and said we don't have one. But that the bullets, brass and dies were such a fantastic deal and I couldn't pass them up. Besides we might need a 264. She asked how many rifles I had built this way and I said more than one Big Grin.

She Smiler and asked if that was like her buying shoes on sale putting them in the closet then later looking for an outfit to go with them. I said yep pretty much. rotflmo

All she did was smile and wink. I think I now know the format for the next time I find new shoes in the closet. dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Well, Dam Honey, it was going to be a supprise shocker

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Well, geez, sweetthing. The rifle was gonna be a surprise for your birthday. Now you've gone & ruined it."
Wink Wink

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See your thread on "Wife wants to start reloading."
Intelligence operation indeed!!!!

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

On top of everything else she can shoot darn near as well as I can. Pistol or rifle.

Darn I wish my mind had been working as fast as you guys. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

I agree! Sounds like the sweet wife needs a 264 WM!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When your friends start bringin over 50 BMG brass "just in case", you might wanna stack those a little lower and slightly out of sight...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you have a good wife like I do. Mine has no trouble with my gun hobby as long as bills are paid. I in turn have no problem with her exotic cowboy boot collection. No shoes for that gal cowboy boots or bare feet!

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds to me like you have a good wife

Yep, she has never said no as to a gun related purchase. Matter of fact I see something and say I like it she is the one to say buy it. Usually me deciding not to make the purchase.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i was laughing pretty hard -- Jana knows what reloading costs.. and what factory ammo costs -- she was laughing going "well, did she see an invoice?"

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Well I've been found out. Big Grin The wife was downstairs yesterday helping put away my Graf purchases. She started asking questions about the various stacks of bullets, brass etc.

She got to the 6.5 bullets and 264mag brass and said she didn't remember a 264 in the safe. I smiled and said we don't have one. But that the bullets, brass and dies were such a fantastic deal and I couldn't pass them up. Besides we might need a 264. She asked how many rifles I had built this way and I said more than one Big Grin.

She Smiler and asked if that was like her buying shoes on sale putting them in the closet then later looking for an outfit to go with them. I said yep pretty much. rotflmo

All she did was smile and wink. I think I now know the format for the next time I find new shoes in the closet. dancing

What you do with barrel etc for the 264 you were going to couple years ago?

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twenty years back, I was buying case after case of 223 when it was $179; wifey thought I was nuts, she now admits it was a good idear. She never noticed how much I'd spend on reloading & gun supplies until both our kids started college. So as bad as this sounds, we came to an understanding of sorts, She can smoke her 2-3 packs a day if she doesn't complain too much about what reloading supplies I buy. All her brothers are heavy smokers, nobody gets the cancer; I'll get the second hand before she ever does, no joke.

What really bothers me is the fear that she will give it all away when I kick the bucket; many spouses try to get over it all that way.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo
Tom thank you so much for raising that question.

My wife calls it my "Shiny object syndrome" Roll Eyes

Since 2008 or 2009 I've been debating rebuilding my 6.5PDK wildcat (but a non returned reamer custom dies etc gave me pause) building a 6.5 Gibbs, 264Wmag etc I picked up 264Wmag dies then brass then probably over 1000 bullets with no 6.5 rifle.

I debated a CDL vs build, late 2010 I decided on a McGowan barrel then changed my mind. I still have both magnum and std MKX actions. A light High Tech stock just no barrel.

Then I had IDT do a couple chambered Douglas barrels for me and decided to go with a Douglas. I think in July 2011 you offered to sell me a stainless Kreiger but I wanted to stay CM. Then after I had made a twist decision you pointed out Douglas said their twist was +/- 1/2". So Once again I paused.

Big issue is I don't need a 6.5 when I run out of projects I fall back to thinking about it. Beating around the same decisions and discussions over and over until the next shiny object gets me to focus on something else and a 264 6.5 etc gets tabled again. Heck maybe deep down I still want the 6.5PDK and view the 264 as settling. Heck I can't figure me out. Roll Eyes

Bottomline after I get this darn heart valve replaced in a couple weeks I need to fish or cut bait. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently finished a Mauser that started out with a set of 7x57 Ackley dies that I got a sreamin' deal on.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Paul, I just took delivery on a 9.3X64 rifle that started life as a good deal on brass. There can certainly be worse reasons for a new gun.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedSold my last .223 (12bvss-s)to a friend last month. Still had over a thousand cases. Bought a CZ 527 Varmint .223 last week. popcorn roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong guys. I've built rifles because I found a heck of a deal on close out ammo.

For some reason I've beat this one to death for 3-4 years and can't seem to get on the down hill side.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
At least I'm not alone. I came across an old rifle scope that I'd forgotten I had and started looking on gunbroker for a rifle to go with it.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

rotflmo
Tom thank you so much for raising that question.

My wife calls it my "Shiny object syndrome" Roll Eyes

Since 2008 or 2009 I've been debating rebuilding my 6.5PDK wildcat (but a non returned reamer custom dies etc gave me pause) building a 6.5 Gibbs, 264Wmag etc I picked up 264Wmag dies then brass then probably over 1000 bullets with no 6.5 rifle.

I debated a CDL vs build, late 2010 I decided on a McGowan barrel then changed my mind. I still have both magnum and std MKX actions. A light High Tech stock just no barrel.

Then I had IDT do a couple chambered Douglas barrels for me and decided to go with a Douglas. I think in July 2011 you offered to sell me a stainless Kreiger but I wanted to stay CM. Then after I had made a twist decision you pointed out Douglas said their twist was +/- 1/2". So Once again I paused.

Big issue is I don't need a 6.5 when I run out of projects I fall back to thinking about it. Beating around the same decisions and discussions over and over until the next shiny object gets me to focus on something else and a 264 6.5 etc gets tabled again. Heck maybe deep down I still want the 6.5PDK and view the 264 as settling. Heck I can't figure me out. Roll Eyes

Bottomline after I get this darn heart valve replaced in a couple weeks I need to fish or cut bait. Big Grin

Hope all goes well for you. I did same thing changed mind on 6.5 reason barrel was for sale and it got good home.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedSold my last .223 (12bvss-s)to a friend last month. Still had over a thousand cases. Bought a CZ 527 Varmint .223 last week. popcorn roger

Remember the 8mm bullets I sold you a few years ago? I still have the dies and brass.. Whistling

After dumping enough rifles I grew tired of and then seeing another that I HAD to have, I quit moving my dies wether I have a rifle for them or not, and sometimes those lonesome dies give me funny looks and whisper in my ear..

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Remember the 8mm bullets I sold you a few years ago? I still have the dies and brass.. Whistling

I still have four rifles that are various 8mms. but haven't used them in over 2 years. As Jeffesco so candidly pointed out I'm getting to be a recoil sissy. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
love this thread.
i remembered i have some 6.5 mag brass and about 500, 6.5 bullets now.
i thought i had them for the 6.5x257 dies i have...
now maybe someone will explain why i have so many 6mm bullets.
cause i don't have anything in that caliber.
or the 307win/7-30 waters brass-dies.
sheesh.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love this thread.....

"wife helping me put away Graf purchases...." kind of makes me shudder.

Maybe you helping her put up shoes will be a good plan as well. Sounds like you've come to a nice agreement, which is all that really matters.

If the runs on everything at the stores today might imply, being interested in stockpiling supplies isn't such a bad investment. I continue to regret those things I haven't bought.....and am considering getting several barrel blanks just on spec.....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you helping her put up shoes will be a good plan as well. Sounds like you've come to a nice agreement, which is all that really matters.

Smiler Her comment about the shoes was really a joke. In 13 years I can't remember her buying something we didn't need simply because it was on sale.

She would be more likely to come running back across the gun show floor saying they have a heck of a deal on a carbon fiber Walther P22. Oops come to think of it she did. Only to find a longer barrel set on another table.

I had always tired to have my loading needs covered. The last 20 years I had lived in Houston so between Carters, Bass Pro and gander Mtn if I ran short no big deal. However now living out the country SE of Denver there is no real reloading supplies close.

So my step daughter lives in Columbia MO. Home of Midway and 20 miles from Grafs. So every time we go home I either have a will call order at Midway or make a run to grafs. tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K