New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminium Bullets In Rifles
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Some time ago, I tried making aluminium bullets.

Had a bit of a problem, as there are many different types of the alloy.

Finally managed to get a type that will actually machine correctly.

I am making some in 308 caliber, and different weights.

I am using the same design as my copper bullets, therefore the weights are roughly 30% of the copper.

Made a pointed bullet that weighs 39 grain, a HP at 41 grains, and will make other weights.

Any guess how they will perform?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66987 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I would think they would have poor performance and be very erratic in flight.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way aluminum tends to gall against steel I would think that just a few shots will leave a lot of aluminum in the bore; be careful of raised pressures due to a restricted bore.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
308 41 grain aluminium bullet

I am going to spray them with TUNGSTEN to stop galling.

Posts: 66987 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Most interesting, can aluminum be swaged?
Watching you video maybe copper driving bands, like WWII artillery rounds to keep the steel projectile from wearing out the barrels prematurely.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We still use copper bands on artillery projos; and our tank rounds use nylon bands, and travel at 4850 FPS. And also they use aluminum sabots. For the M256 120mm tank cannon.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our bullets do have driving bands, and the total surface in contact with the barrel is relatively small.

I will keep an eye on fouling and see what happens.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to try powder coating instead of tungsten on the coatings, but in either case you won't know until you try!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We used to use moly paint coating on cast bullets. I don't know what tungsten coating is. But tungsten is very hard and brittle isn't it?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have used Molly for years, and love it.

Someone suggested Tungsten, so I am trying it.

It is a spray on.

Apparently it is more slippery than Molly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the velocity and accuracy results. And maybe expansion video?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fast muzzle speeds and 50 fps by 100yds.
have fun.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am cleaning the barrel of a Robler Titan 6 rifle right now.

It has a long barrel, just over 27 inches long.

I will keep track of any fouling with a bore scope.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
First episode is a resounding failure!

A 50 grain aliminium bullet, with a case full of H4895 - 50 grains.

Velocity was 3727, 3 shot group is over 18 inches!

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I figured the velocity would be higher but the accuracy is about what I expected. A different power may help but it's going to take a lot of different trys. I know you are toying with. 308 bullets but I missed which cartridge you were trying your bullets in. I wonder if a hollow base design might work slightly better with your powder charge. I'd try that first and see if accuracy improves.
You should be able to at least duplicate Remington accelerator balistics and accuracy. I'm sure you know what those were, not match grade but they were fairly accurate for a saboted bullet.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alum bullets have been tried before.

When it comes to firearms what is old is new what is new is old.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Alum bullets have been tried before.

When it comes to firearms what is old is new what is new is old.

I am sure they have.

As the old saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun.

But, being curious and have the capability, I thought I will try it myself.

Tried lots of things I have read about.

Lots of my own experience turned completely different!

I have 3 more bullets weights to try, and will let you know the results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps an aluminum core bullet with a copper jacket?That might get enough mass to stabilize the bullet. Much like a gyro.

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have used Molly for years, and love it.

Someone suggested Tungsten, so I am trying it.

It is a spray on.

Apparently it is more slippery than Molly.

Dip them in a grease, any grease. I prefer vasoline to industrial greases, this white grease was very old Lubriplate 130A. This is a before and after greasing a 30-06 and shooting the cartridge.

that grease completely flows down the case, floats the case, and comes out in the chamber.

I do it all the time to keep the cases from gripping the chamber when fire forming, or when shooting new brass.

the thing is, I see the "grease plum" in front of the barrel once the cartridge is fired. Blow enough grease up the barrel and this will prevent jacket contact with the barrel.

Prior to WW1, cupronickle jackets were the state of the art, but the things jacket fouled something awful Shooters learned to dip their bullets in grease to prevent jacket fouling.

In the same period, steel bullets were being issued by the Russians, Italians, and Austrians. These bullets were intended to penetrate the shields on field artillery. To prevent steel on steel contact in the barrel, these bullets were greased.

The Swiss used a grease ring on their ammunition up to the 1970's. This ring has the texture of thick beeswax.

Just dip and twist!

shoots good too!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I tried the 39 grain bullets.

Non touched the target.

Loaded a couple of 168 Sierra MKs and fired them.

Hit the point if aim exactly.

Looked inside the barrel.

Some aluminium streaking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow…accuracy much worse than I thought it would be.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
First episode is a resounding failure!

A 50 grain aliminium bullet, with a case full of H4895 - 50 grains.

Velocity was 3727, 3 shot group is over 18 inches!
Heck . . . I can achieve that accuracy without using aluminum bullets! Wink

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, your experiments are always interesting.

Can you tell if the bullets are fracturing, or are they holding together? They are not being stabilized, or so it seems.

How does one remove aluminum fouling from a barrel?

What's next, depleted uranium?! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Saeed, your experiments are always interesting.

Can you tell if the bullets are fracturing, or are they holding together? They are not being stabilized, or so it seems.

How does one remove aluminum fouling from a barrel?

What's next, depleted uranium?! Cool

Mike,

Stability is not the problem.

Bullets go in all sorts of directions except the ones you wish them to.

I will post the photos I took of the inside of the barrel.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Update.

Someone asked if the bullets broke up.

No they have not.

I have found them in the sand backstop.

I also thought would try something else.

I made the same bullets in copper - exactly the same, except the weight of course.

Just fired 5 shots with a random load of 44 grains of VVN140 powder.

I have not measure the groups but they are all in one hole!!

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Saeed
I doubt that a lightweight aluminum bullet could be driven at a useful velocity to be of any use.
There has to be a fair amount of density to get them to behave in flight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the military use aluminum sabot practice rounds in the Abrahms main gun? Perhaps if the projectile was made as a flachette and sabot launched it would behave better?

http://i.imgur.com/I0DRhGH.jpg

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you get your sand for the backstop?
Just asking. Wink

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Glad you asked about the 120mm Sabot training round; the M865 TPCSDS-T. M865 Target Practice, Cone Stabilized, Discarding Sabot-Tracer. The combat sabot round is fin stabilized and has a DU penetrator. With an aluminum sabot.
One of my jobs was managing tank ammo for a year. Just like hand loading, only I had to buy the components separately and have Milan AAP LAP them; Load Assemble, and Pack.
The M865 uses a steel penetrator, and has an aluminum nose cone, and an aluminum cone to stabilize it (the cone also limits the range because a sabot round will go out of most range fans); the 120mm M256 Cannon used on the M1A1 and M1A2 tanks is smooth bore. We do not want HEAT rounds to spin and Sabot rounds are fin stabilized.
However, the sabot sections (3) are made of aluminum. Tank ammo also operates at 72K to 98 PSI; using screw in steel electric primers. We could make rifles that way.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, heavier and denser is better.

Speer made the best solids ever manufactured. They had tungsten cores.

But they were too expensive.

Only a few discerning buyers were in the market.

So, they stopped making them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to fire a few of the aluminum bullets into a water trap to inspect and analyze the pattern of rifling engagement on them.

I suspect that the bullets having much less mass than a bullet of standard material is much more susceptible to spin drift and they lose stability quickly due to rapid decay of rotational velocity.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rifling on the bullets is normal - I have recovered some.

Not really sure why they shot so badly.

The exact same bullet design in copper shoots very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
slow them down.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
slow them down.

That will be defeating the whole point.

Velocity is not the problem, I think.

As I have copper bullets, shot at higher velocities, shoot very well.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Are the bullets slipping the rifling?

That is, is aluminum fragile compared to copper? Or is it that heavier bullets moving slower might grip the rifling a bit better? Or, perhaps, copper is just less fragile (a bit more malleable?) during the firing process and holds the rifling better?

Are the bullets consistently going in one place? Or scattering all over? If it’s the later, it seems to say the bullets aren’t stabilizing for some reason.

I respectfully disagree with the idea that slower velocity to see if it stabilizes defeats the purpose. One could postulate that the real question is “at what velocity does an aluminum bullet work as intended”? Of course, it could be too low to be useful…but what is that actual number?

Really interesting experiment!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
It would be interesting to fire a few of the aluminum bullets into a water trap to inspect and analyze the pattern of rifling engagement on them.

I suspect that the bullets having much less mass than a bullet of standard material is much more susceptible to spin drift and they lose stability quickly due to rapid decay of rotational velocity.

A heavy flywheel will spin/turn longer than a lighter one.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Have you given up on your aluminum bullet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a very lite bullet would require a very slow twist. Right?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have recovered some from the sand backstop.

They are in tact and do have rifling engraved.

But somehow they went in all sorts of direction.

My original intention was to see how fast I can drive them.

But these results show me that any further shooting is just a waste of effort.