one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I haven't been on in awhile so I apologize if this is old news:

Krieger now in 5R

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen this on thier website. Can anyone tell me the technical differances between 5R and thier standard cut rifling?

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
I've seen this on thier website. Can anyone tell me the technical differances between 5R and thier standard cut rifling?

From Krieger's website:

The Obermeyer 5-R™ style rifling is simply a different style of rifling that has a 'ramped' or angled transition from the groove to the land and back down from the land to the next groove. Our conventional 4 groove rifling has a nearly straight side to the land. The internet is full of information describing perceived benifits to the 5-R™ rifling over conventional styles, but most of this is comparing "apples to oranges" as they are usually comparing one manufacturers "non 5-R™" to a different manufacturers "5-R™" barrels. We have honestly seen no significant diferences between the two styles of rifling when comparing our barrels. We may have better information after this shooting season is over, and once we start getting feedback from competitive shooters trying it though.

We do not expect any accuracy, barrel life, velocity, or other performance differences from our 5-R™ rifling than we do from our conventional 4 groove barrels.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Canted land" rifling is certainly not a new concept. Schneider "gas seal", Shilen "ratchet",and other maker's 5R and 5C have been around for years.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I have an Obermeyer on a 308 I built and it has the 5R rifling. I do not know if it is coincidence or not but that barrel cleaned much easier than any other I've got.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns