New
Find
Notify
Tools

allergic reactions to reloading components
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know of any specific allergic reactions to any reloading components - particularly contact dermatitis and powder?

Thank you

Oxon

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Never is over 40 years of reloading.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i haven't seen it.. but anything is possible, i suppose

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39614 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
my skin was itchy when I tried to clean the cases - especially the primer hole...

Now I put all in a Ultrasonic bath and they are clean like new - and no contact problems with primer dust anymore...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stopped reloading because I became allergic to the solvents in the powders. Just breathing the fumes not contact.
If it's just contact you can use gloves [different glove material will handle different chemicals].
Experiment to find exactly what you are allergic to ,then proceed from there.

You can be allergic to almost anything and the reaction can be almost anything !! The medical "profession" has been reluctant to admit that small molecules can cause a reaction as the definition only accepted large molecules like protein . The finally found that small molecules like chemicals combine in the body with large molecules and that causes a reaction. This isn't even called allergy .They call it MCS [multiple chemical sensitivity].You can PM me if you have other questions about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is so little occasion for powder to contact the skin that I'm surprised that this question has arisen.

Fumes from the solvents are another thing entirely. Luckily, I have no sensitvity to solvent fumes, but inhaling the chemical carrier in many perfumes will prompt an asthsma-like reaction in me. Besides that, the perfumes usually have an unpleasant odor about them in the first place. Hand lotions, cologne, scented detergents, and laundry sheets all disgust me, and some of them make me wheeze.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I developed white spots on hands, doctor thinks it may be caused by Hornady's One Shot gun cleaner which I use to clean and lube my dies

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Iam alergic to loaded ammo, i dont keep it around very long. itchy trigger finger hilbily

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is so little occasion for powder to contact the skin that I'm surprised that this question has arisen.

I am trying to track down possible causes of idiopathic hyperkeratosis and sloughing that recurs episodically and I know this was was long shot but there are no explanations for this phenomenon.

Thank you for your responses.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon,
Where does this hyperkeratosis and sloughing occur?
You can answer by PM.
There are some issues that I have looked at.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Oxon,
Where does this hyperkeratosis and sloughing occur?
You can answer by PM.
There are some issues that I have looked at.

I have seen it on the palms and on the soles of the feet. There are known palmo-plantar dermatologic diseases but most are genetic and non-sloughing.

Just a long shot but there is no medical explanation, yet it happens. It's very rare and most often just goes away but in two instances it has occurred in men in contact with loading materials.

Oxon

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Handle some while wearing nitrile . . . NITRILE gloves and see if you have issues.

Few more (actually a bunch) details about conditions that cause the issue.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
Iam alergic to loaded ammo, i dont keep it around very long. itchy trigger finger hilbily

Good one!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wear gloves when using degreasers and cleaners that remove the oils from the skin. That kind of 'break-out' is not allergy, to me, but simply a response to loosing the oils the skin needs.
Being a chemist, I don't have reactions to any chemicals, but I do have reactions to environmental factors.
I have no idea how one can become sensitive to the solvents in the powder, since most powders have almost zero solvent left in them (my old bottle of PB powder, however, reeked of MEK). It just shows that some are very sensitive.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect your "environmental factors" are indeed chemicals.

Allergies or acquired sensitivity is not restricted to solvents. Indeed, there are dermatologic responses to metal such as nickel.

Oxon