Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kroil
 Login/Join

posted
For what uses do you like kroil over other oils?

Posts: 50 | Location: Greatfalls,Montana USA | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you put Kroil on a patch and run it through a dirty barrel waiting a day it will clean easier

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildbill: I use it to clean the barrels of my Rifles that shoot Moly-coated bullets. It works well for that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Kroil is the absolute best penetrating oil I've ever used. Great for loosening rusted exhaust bolts, etc.

I also use it in cleaning guns. It gets under and loosens whole flakes of copper fouling as well as powder fouling. I also think it helps prevent copper fouling, but that is probably wishful thinking.

I clean with a Kroil patch, several RemClean patches, then Ed's Red then Kroil again, and finally a dry patch before I shoot.

I also made a batch of Ed's Red with Kroil instead of kerosene, and I think it works a lot better, but it's more expensive. If I was still shooting competition I'd be using the Ed's Red w/Kroil.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I clean my molyshooting barrels with Kroil and only with Kroil. They clean up just dandy. No fouling left after apprx. 20 cycles with Kroil and a bronze brush.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took a piece of 4" plastic pipe and glued a cap to one end. I fill the pipe with about 3/4 of a gallon of kroil to soak barreled receivers in when taking barrels off. Works great especially on older guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's cheap--a good gun cleaner--smells decent and I use it for lots of household applications. Great for the rollers on the sliding doors of my minivan. I get sick of using all these aerosols that spray all over everything. A small squeeze bottle with a fine application tube and kroil is great on threaded bolts etc. You'll like it!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Just got thru using some this morning to remove a 13 year old oxygen sensor from the exhaust manifold of my truck. Very crusty.
Couldn't budge it initially. Hit it with some Kroil and it come right off. Great Stuff.
Oh yeah, I've also used it for rifle bore cleaning for years with great success.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I "Kroil" something you can just pick up off the shelf at the hardware store? Just checked home depot and they didn't have it, or even knew what I was asking for.

Is there any other place I can find this stuff and I do I just ask for some Kroil?

Reason I'm suddenly interested is that I've started experimenting with FailSafes and cleaning was a HUGE P.I.T.A. And I can always use help getting copper out, seems that Shooter's Choice only gets out a little at time.

Thanks,
GFP

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this link to Kano Labs site. It's great stuff as the others have said. The stuff is Kroil or aerokroil depending on the packaging.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Mark

Posts: 37 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil is GREAT! I use it at a 1:5 ratio with Shooters Choice solvent.

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is "Kroil" something you can just pick up off the shelf at the hardware store

It SHOULD be something you can get at the local hardware store. But if you can't find it there, MidWayUSA carries it. www.midwayusa.com

You've GOT to try it! It's great stuff!

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kroil with JB Compound is the only time I use it for cleaning...I do that about once a year...I use it for moly coated bullets...and to unstick things that have rusted...

everyday cleaning I use Wipe Out, followed by Rem Oil or whatever.

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
OK Ray, we get it!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair carries Kroil. I believe Midway does also. You might try mixing one part Kroil with two parts Shooters Choice. It really gets the crud out. A lot of benchrest shooters use this mix, and their barrels are usually immaculate. They must know something. It works for me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells stocks Kroil. Try a machinist supply house. They usually hace a minimum buy, but also have
a lot of neat stuff to fill the order.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a VZ24 or Turkish Mauser that reuses to de barrel, put Kroil on the front of the large ring, wait 10 seconds, hit the action wrench with the sledge hammer, and unscrewSmiler

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote