New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st time wildcating
 Login/Join

<R Smith>
posted
Came across a great deal on an older Remington M700 in a 30-06. Didn't really need it, but wanted more toys. I have been reloading for sometime now and am wanting to play around with some odd calibers/chambers and was wanting to rebarrel to a 8MM-06 or a 338-06. I was supprized to see the 338-06 getting better velocities with the same weight bullets???According to my Speer loading manual. Not suprizing was the heavier bullet options from the 338-06. This will be a big game rifle with elk, moose, and black bear being the biggest I will use it on. Again, this will be a project I am wanting to do, not needing. Kinda a playtoy, as my wife calls it. Any advice? I have a exellent gunsmith who will be doing the work, but he laughs when I ask him and tells me it's my money, get what I want.
Any advice?

Robert

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
No advice, but a couple of suggestions. You'll find better bullet selection in 338 so that's the direction I'd take. Also, consider the Ackley or improved version. A bit more powder capacity.

One word of caution. Be prepared to have a rifle you can't give away whenever you decide to get rid of it. Wildcats fill a very unique niche and have a very limited market.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
I would do the 338/06 Weatherby has picked up the A-square version and is offering factory ammo.
I am a 35 Whelen AI fan, and like Paul says below would go that route.

[This message has been edited by DuaneinND (edited 09-28-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of the above suggestions are good. In addition, you might want to look at the Howell line of '06 head cartridges, especially the .338, which are lengthened to magnmum length, but use the standard diameter rimless shell. Your 700 action can be made to accomodate them. They would give you performance close to a .338 Winchester, and would have the advantage of one more round in the magazine than a magnum cartridge.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've very biased towards the 35 whelen, especially the ackley varient. If you even have an incling of interest in cast bullets, the 35 bore is the way to go. As you mention, when you go up in dia, you can push the same weight bullets faster, so the same applies for the 35 over the 338, and works out to ~100 fps.

Asside from that, the 338-06 ought to be outstanding, as I recall it'll push the 210 gr partition ~2700 fps, and that's all you really need. If you want a bit more penetration, go to the 225 gr X bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R Smith>
posted
Thanks,
I was pretty certain I was going to rechamber to the 338-06, but was wanting some pros and cons. I will check into the AI as well as the Howell. Yes, I realized this will be mine once it is built. I still own every gun I have ever bought. Not saying I am not above selling one off some at some point, but am not buy and sell person.

Thanks for the responses.