New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Use LEE Powder Dippers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reading in the Richard Lee manual that his powder dippers "when used as directed" will maintain within 1/10gr. This is the sdame accuracy my powder scales claim. Can any of you guy's substantiate this claim? Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a set of them and don't get that degree of accuracy. Getting a consistent dip of powder is tricky if you compress it any it will read differently. All of my lee dies come with a powder dipper and a chart listing different powders to use. If you don�t have a powder charger they work "ok" pour the dipped charge in a powder weight scale and use trickle charger to finish. For the price you cant go wrong but I wouldn�t say that they can be counted on for true consistent accuracy IMHO.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a set of lee dippers, i put the spout of a lyman scale pan on the dipper and pour powder into the dipper till it overflows, than gently shake off the excess. results are no better or worse than charges thrown by a lyman accu measure, but is quicker and easier to use and a whole lot cheaper. i load hangun loads in the mid range for practice.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they are claiming "within .1 grain", they are totally out to lunch, or they have some secret method they haven't shared yet, at least for rifle loads.

If you shake it level, and sight across the top, you'll get one answer. If you scrape it level with a straightedge, you'll get another.

That is why they recommend reduced loads when using the powder scoops.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
They are not near that accurate.

They are a very good tool in loading rifle rounds. You can get real close w/ a scoop and trickle the rest.

I have used them in my Savage Smokeless Muzz. w/ good success but, it depends on the powder and how finicky it is. Some powders will shoot differently when there is small deviations in powder weights but, some do fine as long as you are w/in a few 10ths +/-.

Be careful when using the Lee charts, I find my weights to differ quit a bit w/ some powders. The charts do give you a good "ball park" figure w/ most powders.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I use them...to dip out charges into the pan of my powder scale.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them all the time for loading reduced loads where you want to ensure that you do not get a double charge. As far as accuracy, it really depends upon the specific powder your are using, the technique you use and to some degree the specific dipper (large or small). I can easily get the same accuracy as I do from a powder measure with the right combination. Also if you load far enough below maximum than +/-1gr is not a big deal with a powder like IMR4831 in some cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them as a powder dribbler cause they work better than an accual powder dribbler. The only time I tried them vs. a scale they were close but not +/- .1 gr.
If you read Lees newest loading book he states that 'most all' the loads in his books were developed using dippers and converted to grains for the book. He also gives very specific methods for using them..........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used then in my savage ML but when I started using a scale my groups tightened up some, I use them now to rough messure a load into the pan of my 505 then as a trickeler to finish

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I use them to measure buffer for my shotshell loads.... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I use them in conjuction with a couple of digital scales, one with a dispenser and a Pact with the trickler. I can dump a scant load in the scales, hit the "Dispense" and it dumps the few tenths of a grain necessary for the charge to be dead on very quickly. I don't find them that accurate although when using ball powders they can dip pretty close. I wouldn't use them as compared to a powder measure.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ditto

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use them by giving them to my granddaughter to play with in her toy kitchen set.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Ditto

Rick

Yup! Whenever Im working up a load I use a dipper, the fastest trickler on the market and the only one that can remove excess powder from the scale.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them every once in a while for handgun rounds when I'm too lazy to dick around with the powder measure. Yeah I know, how hard is that?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use a dipper to charge my scale a bit short and then another short scoop to dribble the last few tenths. Faster than a trickler and you can dip overage back out.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I also use a dipper to charge my scale a bit short and then another short scoop to dribble the last few tenths. Faster than a trickler and you can dip overage back out.

Yep! Same here.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of rjrobb
posted Hide Post
Yep, they work real well to fill the pan on the 10-10. Before I got into real reloading, I used them on 30-30 and 30 M1 Carbine rounds with the Lee loader kit. Never had a problem with them and wasn't too concerned about MOA accuracy then either. Just some way to shoot cheaply.

I even bought a new set when I got my 10-10 so I could fill the pan with more accuracy. I've never had a trickler because of the negative reviews I've read on them.

Joe

Posts: 411 | Location: CO | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a beam scale and a trickler, but beyond that, I use the heck out of mine. I bought a complete set for like $8.00.

In the world of reloading, for $8.00 spent, that $8.00 has seen a lot of use.

I love them. Before, I use to just use an old spoon. It was amazing how accurate I could get with an old spoon. So it is not rocket science, but I would not be without a set of them. I even bought a back up set just in case.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dutch on this one. They are great for measuring the buffer for my bismuth duck and goose shotgun loads. For powder trickling I use a lucky plastic picnic spoon. I have used the same spoon for about twenty years and am convinced that it shaves at least .1" off of my groups. I tried to patent it, but found out that I was about 7,000 years too late.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Yup! Whenever Im working up a load I use a dipper, the fastest trickler on the market and the only one that can remove excess powder from the scale.

Thats why I use them. JUST DON'T USE THEM WHEN LOADING SMALL PISTAL CASES 40s&w and smaller +/- 1/10 can cause huge increases in pressure.

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote