Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil--Bullet deformation
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
What do you guys do with moderate to heavy recoiling rifles and bullet tips getting flattened in the magazine. Do you try to come up with a load where the bullet is seated a little deeper or is it something you just live with?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Sniper

For me, it's hard to deform those plastic tips of the Accubonds or the solid copper nose of the TSX's. If the bullet tips are hitting the front of the magazine during recoil, they are held in place by a light crimp from the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

What bullets are you experiencing this with?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions.

Somewhere, I think it was here, I read where guys were using the TSX's and getting good expansion with the first shot but subsequent shots they TSX's were not opening due to the nose getting compressed during recoil. The MRX-s should remedy this. If they would only hurry and get them into circulation for all calibers.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper

There are little gizmos that fit inside the magazine box that keep the cartridges from moving forward under recoil. They bear against the shoulder. I don't know if they're still made or who might have them, unfortunately.

Also, in the olden days, custom made rifles included a modification of the magazine box to accomplish the same thing. But little details like that are a lost art, sadly.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning box magazines all have a shoulder in the front of the box that bears against the shoulder of the case. No battered tips in those rifles! Big Grin

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sniper, Unless you plan to take shots beyond 400yds, it won't matter - even if you totally remove the Lead Tip from those Partitions.

Nothing at all wrong with doing a bit of Testing at various Seating Depths. You might even find your specific rifle shoots more accurately with the Bullet jumping a good distance to the Lands.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 165 gr Black Tip bulles that were recovered from an ammo fire at a scrap yard.

The tips are bent around a corner.

They still shoot better groups in my Sav 110 30-06 than with 168 gr Sierra Match Kings.

What does it all mean?
The bent tip does not change the groups size much.

Benchrest techniqes are a waste of time for varminters.

Varminter techniqes are a waste of time for deer hunters.

Worrying about bent bullet tips for deer hunting is a waste of time.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Sniper

For me, it's hard to deform those plastic tips of the Accubonds or the solid copper nose of the TSX's. If the bullet tips are hitting the front of the magazine during recoil, they are held in place by a light crimp from the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Ditto.

I just shot a 7RM Ruger for a fella the other day and his bullets were badly deformed after few shots. He'd bought several boxes of factory 150 Sierras(Fed. Prem.). The tips were mashed very flat and the rifle didn't seem to recoil too bad. We shaved the flat spots off w/ a knife blade sort of like sharpening a pencil. I told him he should consider using plastic tipped bullets.

I've never had a problem w/ tips deforming from recoil as much as deforming from feeding and more or less just nicking the lead.

Have any of you ever glued a small piece of rubber in the front of the mag box? Assuming your COAL would allow I would think that a piece of tire inner tube or similar may help but I haven't tried it.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:Have any of you ever glued a small piece of rubber in the front of the mag box? Assuming your COAL would allow I would think that a piece of tire inner tube or similar may help but I haven't tried it.

That, or a piece of leather, works to a small degree, but you always run the risk of the bullet point hanging up on the stuff and failing to feed. And, as you know, failures to feed ALWAYS happen at the worst time. Mad

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
... These are just used for hunting with shots ranging from 50-300 yards. ...
Hey Sniper, I always encourage folks to prove it to themselves. You can read about anything on the net, so of it is accurate and some is fullof beans.

Take 3 new(undamaged tips) cartridges, single load them and shoot a 300yd target. Then remove the Tips completely on 3 more and shoot them into a second Target at 300yds.

Pull the Targets, stack them over each other and look toward the sun.

What do you notice?

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
The holes are bigger on the removed tips? Smiler...
Are you related to Woods??? rotflmo